Pricing and Hedging Path-Dependent Options Under the CEV Process
Much of the work on path-dependent options assumes that the underlying asset price follows geometric Brownian motion with constant volatility. This paper uses a more general assumption for the asset price process that provides a better fit to the empirical observations. We use the so-called constant elasticity of variance (CEV) diffusion model where the volatility is a function of the underlying asset price. We derive analytical formulae for the prices of important types of path-dependent options under this assumption. We demonstrate that the prices of options, which depend on extrema, such as barrier and lookback options, can be much more sensitive to the specification of the underlying price process than standard call and put options and show that a financial institution that uses the standard geometric Brownian motion assumption is exposed to significant pricing and hedging errors when dealing in path-dependent options.
Volume (Year): 47 (2001)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldman, M Barry & Sosin, Howard B & Shepp, Lawrence A, 1979. "On Contingent Claims That Insure Ex-post Optimal Stock Market Timing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 401-413, May.
- Antoon Pelsser, 1997.
"Pricing Double Barrier Options: An Analytical Approach,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
97-015/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Antoon Pelsser, . "Pricing Double Barrier Options: An Analytical Approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 1997 130, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hélyette Geman & Marc Yor, 1993. "Bessel Processes, Asian Options, And Perpetuities," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 349-375.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Goldenberg, David H., 1991. "A unified method for pricing options on diffusion processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 3-34, March.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Tian, Yisong “Sam”, 1999. "Pricing Lookback and Barrier Options under the CEV Process," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(02), pages 241-264, June.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Masayuki Ikeda, 1992. "Pricing Options With Curved Boundaries," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(4), pages 275-298.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1995. "American Capped Call Options on Dividend-Paying Assets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 161-191.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Conze, Antoine & Viswanathan, 1991. " Path Dependent Options: The Case of Lookback Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1893-1907, December.
- Schroder, Mark Douglas, 1989. " Computing the Constant Elasticity of Variance Option Pricing Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 211-219, March.
- Emanuel, David C. & MacBeth, James D., 1982. "Further Results on the Constant Elasticity of Variance Call Option Pricing Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 533-554, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:47:y:2001:i:7:p:949-965. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.