Creating an Association of Southeast Asian Nations Payment System: Policy and Regulatory Issues
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is expected to benefit from the significant growth in the Asia-Pacific payments market. Growth in economic activity would increase the size, scale, and scope of payment transactions. Enabling the scale and scope of payments would in turn increase economic activity. This would also require national payment systems to be regionalized and operate with cross-border and multi-currency capabilities. As existing regional payment arrangements have illustrated how they can be successfully established, ASEAN can itself leverage on its current cooperative forums in creating a more regionalized payment system. This paper assesses the challenges ASEAN faces in doing so.
|Date of creation:||20 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank, 2011. "Payment Systems Worldwide - A Snapshot : Outcomes of the Global Payment Systems Survey 2010," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12813, The World Bank.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & De Renzis, Tania & Schmiedel, Heiko, 2012. "Retail payments and economic growth," Research Discussion Papers 19/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Takala, Kari & Virén, Matti, 2008. "Efficiency and costs of payments : some new evidence from Finland," Research Discussion Papers 11/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Heinrich, Gregor & García Dubón, Enrique, 2011. "The development of a regional payment system in Central America: A step towards further integration and economic development," MPRA Paper 47398, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & De Renzis, Tania & Schmiedel , Heiko, 2012. "Retail payments and economic growth," Research Discussion Papers 19/2012, .
- Simon Gray & Andreas Jobst & Joshua Felman & Ana Carvajal, 2011. "Developing Asean5 Bond Markets; What Still Needs to Be Done?," IMF Working Papers 11/135, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0422. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.