Financial Crisis, Trade Finance, and SMEs: Case of Central Asia
This paper surveys studies of the importance of Central Asian small- and medium-sized enterprises (SME) in the economy and their experience during the Russian financial crisis. It also uses survey data from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development’s Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Surveys to infer noteworthy characteristics, features, and dependencies on financing of Central Asian SMEs and, consequently, derive the potential impact of the crisis on the sector. The paper also assesses government support for SMEs and the necessary market reforms that will give a boost to the sector’s development in the region.
|Date of creation:||25 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fingerand, K. Michael & Schuknecht, Ludger, 1999. "Trade, finance and financial crises," WTO Special Studies, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division, volume 3, number 3, November.
- Auboin, Marc & Meier-Ewert, Moritz, 2003. "Improving the availability of trade finance during financial crises," WTO Discussion Papers 2, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Kalyuzhnova, Yelena & Vagliasindi, Maria, 2006. "Capacity utilization of the Kazakhstani firms and the Russian financial crisis: A panel data analysis," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 231-248, October.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "Financial Crises: Past Lessons and Policy Implications," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 668, OECD Publishing.
- Gonzalo Pastor & Tatiana Damjanovic, 2003.
"The Russian Financial Crisis and Its Consequences for Central Asia,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(3), pages 79-104, May.
- Gonzalo C. Pastor & Tatiana Damjanovic, 2001. "The Russian Financial Crisis and its Consequences for Central Asia," IMF Working Papers 01/169, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.