Global Agrifood Value Chains and Local Poverty Reduction: What Happens to Those Who Don’t Plug In?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- W. Bruce Traill, 2006. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(2), pages 163-174, March.
- Suryadarma, Daniel, 2011. "Competition between traditional food traders and supermarkets in Indonesia," 2011: The Supermarket Revolution in Food: Good, Bad or Ugly for the World's Farmers, Consumers and Retailers?, 14-16 August 2011 125323, Crawford Fund.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, May.
- Daniel Suryadarma & Adri Poesoro & Sri Budiyati & Akhmadi & Meuthia Rosfadhila, 2007. "Impact of Supermarkets on Traditional Markets and Retailers in Indonesia's Urban Centers," Development Economics Working Papers 22548, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Viorel Mionel & Oana Mionel & Alexandra Moraru, 2014. "The Relation between Fair Trade and Supermarkets: Spatial Implications for the Global Economy," Knowledge Horizons - Economics, Faculty of Finance, Banking and Accountancy Bucharest,"Dimitrie Cantemir" Christian University Bucharest, vol. 6(2), pages 109-113, June.
- Hildegunn E. Stokke, 2009.
"Multinational supermarket chains in developing countries: does local agriculture benefit?,"
Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(6), pages 645-656, November.
- Hildegunn Ekroll Stokke, 2008. "Multinational supermarket chains in developing countries: Does local agriculture benefit," Working Paper Series 9408, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan, 2015. "Agricultural trade and development: A value chain perspective," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2015-04, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Peter Dannenberg, 2013. "The rise of supermarkets and challenges for small farmers in South African food value chains," Economia agro-alimentare, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 15(3), pages 15-34.
- Etornam Kosi Anku & Gerald Kojo Ahorbo, 2017. "Conflict between Supermarkets and Wet-Markets in Ghana: Early Warning Signals and Preventive Policy Recommendations," International Journal of Business and Social Research, LAR Center Press, vol. 7(10), pages 1-17, October.
- Madhavan-Nambiar, Padmanand & Florkowski, Wojciech & Chinnan, Manjeet & Ressurrecion, Anna, 2015. "Shopping outlet choice and frequency in urban areas of the Republic of Uganda," 2015 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2015, Atlanta, Georgia 196821, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Sowjanya R. Peddi, 2014. "Multinational Corporations in Indian Food Retail: Why and How Size Matters," Millennial Asia, , vol. 5(1), pages 89-117, April.
- Minten, Bart, 2007. "The food retail revolution in poor countries: Is it coming or is it over? Evidence from Madagascar," IFPRI discussion papers 719, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- H.H. Chang & C. van Marrewijk & R. Stringer & W. Umberger, 2013. "Investment, awareness, supermarkets, and profits: heterogeneous chili farmers in Indonesia," Working Papers 13-13, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Miet Maertens & Bart Minten & Jo Swinnen, 2009. "Growth in high-value export markets in Sub-Saharan Africa and its development implications," LICOS Discussion Papers 24509, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Etornam Kosi Anku & Gerald Kojo Ahorbo, 2017. "Conflict between Supermarkets and Wet-Markets in Ghana: Early Warning Signals and Preventive Policy Recommendations," International Journal of Business and Social Research, MIR Center for Socio-Economic Research, vol. 7(10), pages 1-17, October.
- Mathew Joseph & Nirupama Soundararajan & Manisha Gupta & Sanghamitra Sahu, 2008. "Impact of Organized Retailing on the Unorganized Sector," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22167, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Diao, Xinshen & Dorosh, Paul A. & Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2007. "Market opportunities for African agriculture: A General Equilibrium examination of demand-side constraints on agricultural growth in East and Southern Africa," Research reports 154, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Andreas Bergh & Therese Nilsson, 2014.
"When More Poor Means Less Poverty: On Income Inequality and Purchasing Power,"
Southern Economic Journal, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 81(1), pages 232-246, July.
- Bergh, Andreas & Nilsson, Therese, 2012. "When More Poor Means Less Poverty: On Income Inequality and Purchasing Power," Working Papers 2012:2, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bergh, Andreas & Nilsson, Therese, 2012. "When More Poor Means Less Poverty: On Income Inequality and Purchasing Power," Working Paper Series 900, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Van Herck, Kristine, 2011. "Where have all the farmers gone? EU Accession and Structural Change in Bulgaria," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114829, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Federica Di Marcantonio & Pavel Ciaian & Vicente Castellanos, 2018. "Unfair trading practices in the dairy farm sector: Evidence from selected EU regions," JRC Research Reports JRC112770, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Wertheim-Heck, Sigrid C.O. & Vellema, Sietze & Spaargaren, Gert, 2015. "Food safety and urban food markets in Vietnam: The need for flexible and customized retail modernization policies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 95-106.
- Schipmann, Christin & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Supply chain differentiation, contract agriculture, and farmers’ marketing preferences: the case of sweet pepper in Thailand," GlobalFood Discussion Papers 108349, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Miet Maertens & Liesbeth Colen & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2011.
"Globalisation and poverty in Senegal: a worst case scenario?,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 31-54, March.
- Miet Maertens & Liesbeth Colen & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2008. "Globalization and Poverty in Senegal: A Worst Case Scenario?," LICOS Discussion Papers 21708, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Maertens, Miet & Colen, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Globalization and Poverty in Senegal: A Worst Case Scenario?," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51668, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Xiaoyong Zhang & Lusine H. Aramyan, 2009. "A conceptual framework for supply chain governance: An application to agri-food chains in China," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 136-154, January.
More about this item
Keywordsagrifood value chain; Indonesia; quality price premium; small farmers; supermarket;
All these keywords.
- O13 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2015-12-20 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2015-12-20 (Marketing)
- NEP-SEA-2015-12-20 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbewp:0453. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/eradbph.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Orlee Velarde (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/eradbph.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.