Efeitos informais do salário mínimo e pobreza
This paper evaluates the effectiveness of the minimum wage policy in various segments of Brazilian labor markets. Our basic technique is to quantify corner solutions imposed by the minimum wage. These points are later used as a focalization mechanism in the simulation of upper bounds of the effects of the minimum wage on poverty measures. We highlight two 'informal effects' of the minimum wage, i) the high percentage of informal workers receiving exactly one minimum wage, this enhances the effects of the minimum on poverty, and ii) The use of the minimum wage as a numeraire in wage determination, in particular within the formal sector.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Dec 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ|
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Gonzaga, Gustavo Maurício & Camargo, José Márcio & Neri, Marcelo Cortes, 2000. "Efeitos informais do salário mínimo e pobreza," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 372, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- repec:ilo:ilowps:361718 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pablo Fajnzylber, 2001. "Minimum Wage Effects Throughout the Wage Distribution: Evidence from Brazil's Formal and Informal Sectors," Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 098, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Pablo Fajnzylber, 2001. "Minimum wage effects throughout the wage distribution: evidence from Brazil’s formal and informal sectors," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td151, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Dragos Adascalitei & Sameer Khatiwada & Miguel Á. Malo & Pignatti Moran, 2015.
"Employment protection and collective bargaining during the great recession: a comprehensive review of international evidence,"
Revista de Economía Laboral - Spanish Journal of Labour Economics,
Asociación Española de Economía Laboral - AEET, vol. 12, pages 50-87.
- Adascalitei, Dragos & Khatiwada, Sameer & Malo, Miguel A. & Pignatti Morano, Clemente, 2015. "Employment protection and collective bargaining during the Great Recession: A comprehensive review of international evidence," MPRA Paper 65509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Neumark, David & Cunningham, Wendy & Siga, Lucas, 2006. "The effects of the minimum wage in Brazil on the distribution of family incomes: 1996-2001," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 136-159, June.
- David Neumark & Wendy Cunningham & Lucas Siga, 2004. "The Effects of the Minimum Wage in Brazil on the Distribution of Family Incomes: 1996-2001," Working Papers 050627, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- William Maloney & Jairo Mendez, 2004. "Measuring the Impact of Minimum Wages. Evidence from Latin America," NBER Chapters,in: Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean, pages 109-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maloney, William F. & Nunez, Jairo & Cunningham, Wendy & Fiess, Norbert & Montenegro, Claudio & Murrugarra, Edmundo & Santamaria,Mauricio & Sepulveda, Claudia, 2001. "Measuring the impact of minimum wages : evidence from Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2597, The World Bank.
- William F. Maloney & Jairo Nunez Mendez, 2003. "Measuring the Impact of Minimum Wages: Evidence from Latin America," NBER Working Papers 9800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Arango & Angélica Pachón, 2004. "Minimum Wages in Colombia: Holding the Middle with a Bite," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003224, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2000. "A note on an application of Arrow's theorem: sufficient conditions for Lucas' inflation and welfare," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 397, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Malena Arcidiácono, 2015. "Salario Mínimo y Distribución salarial: Evidencia para Argentina 2003 – 2013," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0192, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Bosch, Mariano & Goñi-Pacchioni, Edwin & Maloney, William, 2012. "Trade liberalization, labor reforms and formal–informal employment dynamics," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 653-667.
- Luis E Arango & Luz Adriana Flórez & Angélica M Arosemena, 2005. "El Tramo Corto de la Estructura a Plazo como Predictor de Expectativas de la Actividad Económica en Colombia," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 42(125), pages 79-101.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luz Adriana Flórez & Angélica María Arosemena, 2003. "El tramo corto de la estructura a plazo como predictor de expectativas de la actividad económica en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002559, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luz Adriana Flórez & Angélica María Arosemena, 2004. "El Tramo Corto de la Estructura a Plazo como Predictor de Expectativas de la Actividad Económica en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 279, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos A.Arango & Angélica Pachón, 2004. "Minimum Wages in Colombia: Holding the Middle With a Bite on the Poor," Borradores de Economia 280, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Marc Hofstetter, 2005. "Política Monetaria Y La Corte Constitucional: El Caso Del Salario Mínimo," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003338, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- AGENOR Pierre-Richard & FERNANDES Reynaldo & HADDAD Eduardo & VAN DER MENSBRUGGHE Dominique, "undated". "Analyzing the Impact of Adjustment Policies on the Poor: An IMMPA Framework for Brazil," EcoMod2003 330700002, EcoMod.
- Grimshaw, Damian. & Miozzo, Marcela., 2003. "Minimum wages and pay equity in Latin America : identifying the employment and pay equity effects," ILO Working Papers 993617183402676, International Labour Organization.
- Maurizio, Roxana., 2014. "Labour formalization and declining inequality in Argentina and Brazil in the 2000s a dynamic approach," ILO Working Papers 994855153402676, International Labour Organization.
- Miguel N. Foguel & Lauro Ramos & Francisco Carneiro, 2015. "the Impacts of the Minimum Wage on the Labor Market, Poverty and Fiscal Budget in Brazil," Discussion Papers 0108, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:485515 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kapelyuk Sergey, 2014. "Impact of minimum wage on income distribution and poverty in Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 14/03e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rio:texdis:393. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed