The Impact of the USO on the Profitability of Postal Service Provision in Finland
This study aims at investigating the order of magnitude of financial burden of the universal service obligation for the universal service provider. Prior studies have adopted various different cost accounting methods to assess the order of magnitude of net costs arising from postal universal service provision. This study, instead, uses econometric approach for predicting hypothetical profits that the universal service provider had earned without the universal service obligation, and then calculates the net losses for the firm. The econometric model takes into account the impact of cost efficiency on a firm’s profits and further the universal service provider’s entitlement to reasonable profits on postal markets. The data from the firms active in the postal and courier activities sector in Finland during the years 2005-2012 indicate that the profitability of universal service provider was clearly lower than that of competitors during the sample time period. The annual loss due to the universal service obligation was about 5 – 8 percent of the turnover of the universal service provider.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lönnrotinkatu 4 B, FIN-00120 HELSINKI|
Phone: +358 (0)9 609 900
Fax: +358 (0)9 601 753
Web page: http://www.etla.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. A. Bikker & M. van Leuvensteijn, 2008. "Competition and efficiency in the Dutch life insurance industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2063-2084.
- Chiara Peroni & Ivete Ferreira, 2012. "Competition and Innovation in Luxembourg," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 93-117, March.
- Lindhjem Henrik & Pedersen Simen, 2012. "Should Publicly Funded Postal Services be Reduced? A Cost-Benefit Analysis of the Universal Service Obligation in Norway," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-33, June.
- Harold Creusen & Bert Minne & Henry van der Wiel, 2006. "Competition in the Netherlands; an analysis of the period 1993-2001," CPB Document 136, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Jaag Christian, 2011. "What is an Unfair Burden? Compensating the Net Cost of Universal Service Provision," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-32, September.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2012.
"Competition in the Portuguese economy: Insights from a profit elasticity approach,"
w201217, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Amador, João & Soares, Ana Cristina, 2013. "Competition in the Portuguese economy: insights from a profit elasticity approach," Working Paper Series 1603, European Central Bank.
- Marshall, William J & Yawitz, Jess B & Greenberg, Edward, 1981. "Optimal Regulation under Uncertainty," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 909-21, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rif:wpaper:22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.