Venture Capital Industry in Finland - Country Report for the Venture Fun Project
This report is a descriptive account of the major features of the Venture Capital (VC) Industry in Finland. It has been prepared as a background report for a project entitled Venture Fun, carried out in an EU Network of Excellence PRIME and funded from the Sixth Framework Programme. The report provides a brief overview of the evolution and present structures of the VC industry in Finland, and draws attention to factors that affect the development of VC industry, among others, to the nature of policies pursued in this field. One of its observations is the fact that the primary rationale for policies has been closing the early phase funding gap for start-ups, the promotion of SMEs, regional development or other socio-economic objectives, rather than the promotion of VC industry. As a result, policy measures have tended to be permanent, not temporary, since the objectives are difficult to achieve in a fixed time period. Furthermore, the policies pursued have made a separation of the monetary and non-monetary value-adding functions of VC, and only recently have acknowledged the value of the latter for the growth of high-tech start-ups.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lönnrotinkatu 4 B, FIN-00120 HELSINKI|
Phone: +358 (0)9 609 900
Fax: +358 (0)9 601 753
Web page: http://www.etla.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Armour & Douglas Cumming, 2004. "The Legal Road To Replicating Silicon Valley," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp281, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Hermans, Raine & Luukkonen, Terttu, 2002. "Findings of the ETLA Survey on Finnish Biotechnology Firms," Discussion Papers 819, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Palmberg, Christopher & Ylä-Anttila, Pekka, 2006. "The Specificities of Finnish Industrial Policy - Challenges and Initiatives at the Turn of the Century," Discussion Papers 973, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Ali-Yrkkö, Jyrki & Hermans, Raine, 2002. "Nokia in the Finnish Innovation System," Discussion Papers 811, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Pajarinen, Mika, 2001. "Financial Systems and Venture Capital in Nordic Countries: A comparative Study," Discussion Papers 774, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Lemola, Tarmo, 2002. "Convergence of national science and technology policies: the case of Finland," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1481-1490, December.
- Luukkonen, Terttu, 2005. "Variability in organisational forms of biotechnology firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 555-570, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rif:dpaper:1003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.