The Continuous Limit of GARCH Processess
Contrary to popular belief, the diffusion limit of a GARCH variance process is not a diffusion model unless one makes a very specific assumption that cannot be generalized. In fact, the normal GARCH(1,1) prices of European call and puts are identical to the Black-Scholes prices based on the average of a deterministic variance process. In the case of GARCH models with several normal components – and these are more realistic representations of option prices and returns behaviour – the continuous limit is a stochastic model with uncertainty over which deterministic local volatility governs the return. The risk neutral model prices of European options are weighted averages of Black-Scholes prices based on the integrated forward variances in each state. An interesting area to be considered for application of this model is path dependent options. Since both marginal and transition price densities are lognormal mixtures the mixture GARCH option pricing model is not equivalent to the mixture option pricing models that have previously been discussed by several authors.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 218, Whiteknights, Reading, Berks, RG6 6AA|
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Garcia, Rene & Luger, Richard & Renault, Eric, 2003.
"Empirical assessment of an intertemporal option pricing model with latent variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 49-83.
- Garcia, R. & Luger, R. & Renault, E., 2001. "Empirical Assessment of an Intertemporal option Pricing Model with Latent variables," Cahiers de recherche 2001-10, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- René Garcia & Richard Luger & Eric Renault, 2000. "Empirical Assessment of an Intertemporal Option Pricing Model with Latent Variables," Working Papers 2000-56, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GARCIA,René & LUGER, Richard & RENAULT, Éric, 2001. "Empirical Assessment of an Intertemporal Option Pricing Model with Latent variables," Cahiers de recherche 2001-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Emese Lazar & Carol Alexander, 2006. "Normal mixture GARCH(1,1): applications to exchange rate modelling," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 307-336.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:icmadp:icma-dp2004-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Pearson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.