The Impact of Stock Markets on China's Economic Development: Some Preliminary Assessments
The role that stock markets should be afforded in economic development policy in China is the subject of debate. Some argue that they are essential to reforming state-owned enterprises (SOE's) and overcoming deficiencies in China's credit markets. However, others claim they are not necessary institutions for achieving high levels of economic development and are more likely to be destabilizing. This paper seeks to shed light on the impact that stock markets have had on China's economic development to date. Available data suggests that listing SOE's has been important in terms of raising funds for their reform. However, the corporate governance impact has been ineffectual and stock markets were also an insignificant source of funding for non-state owned firms. Finally, on a macro-level, their impact on the overall level of savings mobilization and the allocative efficiency of capital has been negligible. The policy conclusions are that, firstly, the state should begin trading the shares that it controls, and secondly, non-state owned firms should also be allowed to list.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, Richard D. F., 1997. "Stock markets and development: A re-assessment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 139-146, January.
- Jefferson, Gary H. & Rawski, Thomas G. & Zheng, Yuxin, 1996. "Chinese Industrial Productivity: Trends, Measurement Issues, and Recent Developments," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 146-180, October.
- Atje, Raymond & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1993. "Stock markets and development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 632-640, April.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 783-99, May.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Philip Arestis, 1996. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/16, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Markets, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth: An Overview," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 223-39, May.
- Catherine Bonser-Neal & Kathryn L Dewenter, 1999. "Does Financial Market Development Stimulate Savings? Evidence From Emerging Stock Markets," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(3), pages 370-380, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uq2004:302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.