Growth-Effects of Inflation Targeting: The Role of Financial Sector Development
The paper develops a dynamic general equilibrium monetary endogenous growth model. The closed economy model is inhabited by consumers, firms, a Cournotian monopolistically compet- itive banking system, besides, an inflation-targeting monetary authority, and, in turn, analyzes the effect of a tight monetary (disinflationary) policy on growth. We show that the effect of a lower inflation target on growth is ambiguous, with the ultimate effect depending on the initial levels of growth and the individual bank size, besides, a whole host of structural parameters defining the preferences and the production structure of the economy.
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PRETORIA, 0002|
Phone: (+2712) 420 2413
Fax: (+2712) 362-5207
Web page: http://www.up.ac.za/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005.
"Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(3), December.
- Vega, Marco & Winkelried, Diego, 2004. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," MPRA Paper 838, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," Macroeconomics 0502026, EconWPA.
- Mollick, André Varella & Cabral, René & Carneiro, Francisco G., 2011.
"Does inflation targeting matter for output growth? Evidence from industrial and emerging economies,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 537-551, July.
- Varella Mollick, Andre & Torres, Rene Cabral & Carneiro, Francisco G., 2008. "Does Inflation Targeting Matter for Output Growth? Evidence from Industrial and Emerging Economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4791, The World Bank.
- Miguel A. LeÛn-Ledesma & A. P. Thirlwall, 2002.
"The endogeneity of the natural rate of growth,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 26(4), pages 441-459, July.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth,"
3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arminio Fraga & Ilan Goldfajn & Andre Minella, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
10019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen M. Miller, 2010.
"The Lag in Effect of Inflation Targeting and Policy Evaluation,"
2010-01, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen Miller, 2011. "The lag in effect of inflation targeting and policy evaluation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(14), pages 1371-1375.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen M. Miller & ChunShen Lee, 2009. "Inflation Targeting Evaluation: Short-run Costs and Long-run Irrelevance," Working Papers 0920, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- V. V. Chari & Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 1995. "The growth effects of monetary policy," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 18-32.
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Financial Intermediation And Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
124, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marc Lavoie, 2006. "A Post-Keynesian Amendment To The New Consensus On Monetary Policy," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 165-192, 05.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Nicholas Apergis & Stephen M. Miller & Alexandros Panethimitakis & Athanassios Vamvakidis, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and Output Growth: Evidence from Aggregate European Data," Working papers 2005-06, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Marco Espinosa & Chong K. Yip, 1998.
"Fiscal and Monetary Policy Interactions in an Endogenous Growth Model with Financial Intermediaries,"
Departmental Working Papers
_094, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Espinosa-Vega, Marco A & Yip, Chong K, 1999. "Fiscal and Monetary Policy Interactions in an Endogenous Growth Model with Financial Intermediaries," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 595-615, August.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Chong K. Yip, 1995. "Fiscal and monetary policy interactions in an endogenous growth model with financial intermediaries," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 95-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Rangan Gupta & Josine Uwilingiye, 2010. "Evaluating the Welfare Cost of Inflation in a Monetary Endogenous Growth General Equilibrium Model: The Case of South Africa," Working Papers 201002, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Gilberto Libanio, 2005. ""Good governance" in monetary policy and the negative real effects of inflation targeting in developing economies," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td277, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pre:wpaper:200610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.