Islamic norms, the excel formula and home financing models
This paper adds to the series of writings on Islamic home financing presented and published by the author since February 2010. It spells out certain norms Islamic banks must observe in home financing and demonstrates that the conventional model based on an Excel formula does not meet the stated norms. It may well be emphasized that in Islam the question of observing these norms arises before, and not after, the selection of the formula; additional juristic requirements may only follow subsequently. Is it not then strange many Islamic banks are using the formula to determine the periodic instalment payments in their home financing programs? The paper finds, for example, the popular Musharakah-Mutanaqisa Partnership (MMP) Islamic home financing model to be non-compliant with the stated norms. It presents a new model―the Zubair Diminishing Balance Method (ZDBM) ― and argues that the alternative is not only fully observant but is superior to the MMP model on some other counts as well.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:||2013|
|Publication status:||Published in ISRA: International Journal of Islamic Finance 1.5(2013): pp. 7-28|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011.
"Riba in La-riba contracts: where to turn in Islamic home financing?,"
35421, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2012. ""Riba in La-riba contracts: where to turn in Islamic home financing?," MPRA Paper 38166, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011. "Riba in La-riba contracts:where to turn in Islamic home financing?," MPRA Paper 34386, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2010. ""Islamic house financing:current models and a proposal from social perspective," MPRA Paper 31638, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Apr 2011.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011. "Islamic house financing:current models and a proposal from social perspective," MPRA Paper 27919, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edib Smolo, 2011. "The potentials ofmusharakah mutanaqisah for Islamic housing finance," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 237-258, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.