Mortgage contracts in Islamic home finance: Musharakah Mutanaqisah program vs. Zubair diminishing balance model
The present paper attempts two demonstrations. First, it shows that the Excel formula Islamic banks invariably use to determine the fixed installment payments in home financing amortization has explicit compounding of return. Once the installment is based on that formula, the subsequent claims that in implementation the charge becomes free of interest hardly remain tenable. Second, the paper proposes an alternative home finance model where the mortgage contract has several merits over the structure in common use i.e. the musharakah mutanaqisa program or the MMP. The proposed model is cheaper for the buyer while the margin of return for the banker is not reduced; thus, painting a win-win situation for both. It attracts no juristic doubts. Some bankers of international repute have already hailed the model as an innovative useful breakthrough in the area of Islamic finance. Finally, the model aligns better than others with the maqasid or the objectives of the Islamic law.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011.
"Riba in La-riba contracts: where to turn in Islamic home financing?,"
35421, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2012. ""Riba in La-riba contracts: where to turn in Islamic home financing?," MPRA Paper 38166, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011. "Riba in La-riba contracts:where to turn in Islamic home financing?," MPRA Paper 34386, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2010. ""Islamic house financing:current models and a proposal from social perspective," MPRA Paper 31638, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Apr 2011.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011. "Islamic house financing:current models and a proposal from social perspective," MPRA Paper 27919, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthew Chambers & Carlos Garriga & Don E. Schlagenhauf, 2007. "Mortgage contracts and housing tenure decisions," Working Papers 2007-040, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.