Essential Interest-Bearing Money
In this paper, I provide a rationale for why money should earn interest; or, what amounts to the same thing, why risk-free claims to non-interest-bearing money should trade at discount. I argue that interest-bearing money is essential when individual money balances are private information. The analysis also suggests one reason for why it is sufficient (as well as necessary) for interest to be paid only on large money balances; or equivalently, why bonds need only be issued in large denominations.
|Date of creation:||07 Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Andolfatto, 2007.
"Incentives and the Limits to Deflationary Policy,"
dp07-14, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002.
"A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis,"
0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005. "A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David K. Levine, 1991.
"Asset Trading Mechanisms and Expansionary Policy,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
43, David K. Levine.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2004.
"Inflation, output, and welfare,"
0407, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Shouyong Shi, 2006.
"Welfare Improvement from Restricting the Liquidity of Nominal Bonds,"
tecipa-212, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong Shi, 2006. "Welfare improvement from restricting the liquidity of nominal bonds," 2006 Meeting Papers 245, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Miguel Molico, 2006. "The Distribution Of Money And Prices In Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(3), pages 701-722, 08.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2004.
"Money in search equilibrium, in competitive equilibrium, and in competitive search equilibrium,"
0405, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 175-202, 01.
- Randall Wright & Guillame Rocheteau, 2003. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000302, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2003. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-031, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Harold L. Cole & Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 1998. "Zero nominal interest rates: why they're good and how to get them," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 2-10.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 2003.
"Societal benefits of illiquid bonds,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 179-193, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:4780. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.