Nouvelles exigences en capital des banques de l'UEMOA, concentration bancaire et coût du crédit au Togo
[New capital requirements of WEAMU banks, banking concentration and cost of crédit in Togo]
This paper analyzes the potential effects of new capital requirements of banks in the WAEMU countries on the cost of credit in Togo. The influence on lending rates is examined through the channel of the of banking concentration. We show from generalized additive models (GAM) and generalized method of moments (GMM) in dynamic panel models that banking concentration is associated with higher lending rates. In other words, the more the banking activity is concentrated in a small number of banks, the more the cost of credit is high. Without compromising the expected benefits of the new minimum capital requirements, the results support the hypothesis that they can cost to the economies of the union by strengthening the oligopolistic nature of the banking market and by increasing the cost of credit which is harmful to the economic growth. It is therefore necessary to support the new capital requirements with measures that can increase competition between banks and and promote the entry of new banks in the market.
|Date of creation:||27 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Diana Bonfim & Qinglei Dai & Francesco Franco, 2009. "The Number of Bank Relationships, Borrowing Costs and Bank Competition," Working Papers w200912, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Nicolas Eber, 2001. "Les relations bancaires de long terme. Une revue de la littérature," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 111(2), pages 195-246.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1992. "Determinants of European bank profitability: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1173-1178, December.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- repec:oup:restud:v:58:y:1991:i:2:p:277-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Roodman, 2006.
"How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata,"
103, Center for Global Development.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- Bourke, Philip, 1989. "Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-79, March.
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990.
" Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989. "Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Adolfo Barajas & Roberto Steiner & Natalia Salazar, 1999. "Interest Spreads in Banking in Colombia, 1974-96," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(2), pages 4.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:44633. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.