Brand effects, mobility costs and industry evolution
In this paper I present a model that was built in order to analyse the interdependencies between labour market dynamics and the evolution of industries’ structure. Being inspired by the case of consultancy services, the model integrates many of the features typically found in those industries. In particular, problems of incomplete information, the role of ‘brand effects’, and constraints in the supply of specialised labour, are taken into account. This model is able to reproduce many of the empirical regularities that have been identified in studies of industrial dynamics on the basis of causal mechanisms that are absent from most theoretical models, and it shows to be a useful tool in understanding some features of the evolution of real world industries.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 2001.
"Job Search Methods and Outcomes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
349, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Pedro Portugal, 1998. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," Working Papers w199808, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 1998. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-41, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2002.
"Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms,"
w200204, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- JosÈ Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2004. "Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 283-298, 04.
- Dosi, Giovanni, et al, 1997. "Industrial Structures and Dynamics: Evidence, Interpretations and Puzzles," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 3-24.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Mamede, Ricardo, 2002. "Does innovation (really) matter for success? The case of an IT Consulting Firm," MPRA Paper 3999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.