Intergenerational links, taxation, and wealth distribution
We extend one of the main findings in Bossmann et al. (2007)("Bequests, taxation and the distribution of wealth in a general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, 91, 1247-1271). Bequest motives per se reduce wealth inequality. We show that the result holds for a stronger criterion of inequality comparison between distributions. Bossmann et al. (2007) use the coefficient of varation as the inequality measure. Our Lorenz dominance result implies their result. We also strengthen two other conclusions in Bossmann et al. (2007). Earnings ability inheritance could increase wealth inequality and estate taxes could decrease wealth inequality.
|Date of creation:||18 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ana Castaneda & Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, 2003. "Accounting for the U.S. Earnings and Wealth Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(4), pages 818-857, August.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1972.
"Some Further Results on the Measurement of Inequality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
344, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Some further results on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 188-204, April.
- Sexauer, Martin & Kleiber, Christian & Wälde, Klaus, 2005.
"Bequests, taxation and the distribution of wealth in a general equilibrium model,"
W.E.P. - Würzburg Economic Papers
61, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Bossmann, Martin & Kleiber, Christian & Walde, Klaus, 2007. "Bequests, taxation and the distribution of wealth in a general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1247-1271, August.
- Christian Kleiber & Martin Sexauer & Klaus Wälde, 2006. "Bequests, Taxation and the Distribution of Wealth in a General Equilibrium Model," CESifo Working Paper Series 1723, CESifo Group Munich.
- Zimmerman, David J, 1992. "Regression toward Mediocrity in Economic Stature," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 409-29, June.
- Fellman, J, 1976. "The Effect of Transformations on Lorenz Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 823-24, July.
- James B. Davies & Peter J. Kuhn, 1991. "A Dynamic Model of Redistribution, Inheritance, and Inequality," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 324-44, May.
- Jess Benhabib & Alberto Bisin & Shenghao Zhu, 2011.
"The Distribution of Wealth and Fiscal Policy in Economies With Finitely Lived Agents,"
Econometric Society, vol. 79(1), pages 123-157, 01.
- Jess Benhabib & Alberto Bisin, 2009. "The distribution of wealth and fiscal policy in economies with finitely lived agents," NBER Working Papers 14730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zilcha, Itzhak, 2003. "Intergenerational transfers, production and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3-4), pages 489-513, March.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-84, August.
- Mariacristina De Nardi, 2002.
"Wealth inequality and intergenerational links,"
314, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mariacristina De Nardi, 2004. "Wealth Inequality and Intergenerational Links," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 743-768.
- Mariacristina Nardi, 2004. "Wealth Inequality and Intergenerational Links," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 743-768, 07.
- Mariacristina deNardi, 2000. "Wealth Inequality and Intergenerational Links," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0547, Econometric Society.
- Gajdos, Thibault & Weymark, John A., 2012. "Introduction to inequality and risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1313-1330.
- Solon, Gary, 1992. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Chatterjee, Satyajit, 1994. "Transitional dynamics and the distribution of wealth in a neoclassical growth model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 97-119, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39511. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.