Modelling profitability of Indian banks
This paper identifies the key determinants of profitability of Indian banks. It integrates the macroeconomic environment and industry level variables of India for predicting profitability of Indian banks. A simultaneous equation system has been formulated to derive the estimates of net interest income (NII) and Credit for the banking system as a whole. Net interest income as well as efficiency ratio have significant role in determining profitability in Indian banking scenario. The Net interest income reacts inversely to bond yields and positively to credit. This stems from the inverse relationship of credit demand to bond yields and positive relationship of GDP with credit creation. Further, Deposit mix (higher share of low cost deposit in the total deposits) has favourable impact on NII%.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pasiouras, Fotios & Kosmidou, Kyriaki, 2007. "Factors influencing the profitability of domestic and foreign commercial banks in the European Union," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 222-237, June.
- Kwast, Myron L. & Rose, John T., 1982. "Pricing, operating efficiency, and profitability among large commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 233-254, June.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1988.
"Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
2534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gökçer Özgür & Korkut A. Ertürk, 2008. "Endogenous Money in the Age of Financial Liberalization," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2008_06, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Rivard, Richard J. & Thomas, Christopher R., 1997. "The effect of interstate banking on large bank holding company profitability and risk," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 61-76, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.