Behavioral approach to Arbitrage Pricing Theory
In this paper, I have examined the relation between expected returns and measures of systematic risk stemming from macroeconomic factors studied by Chen, Roll and Ross (1986, hereafter CRR) for a different time period (1978-2007) and different formation of portfolios (based on ME and BE/ME). Like CRR, I’ve used a version of Fama and MacBeth’s (1973) two-pass cross-sectional regression (CSR) methodology. Apparently, changing the time period and formation of portfolio lead to noticeably different conclusions. Using the same macrofactors as CRR only factor related to the change in expected inflation (DEI) is significantly priced in the overall period. The sample mean of the Industrial production factor (MP), a highly significant factor in CRR, is insignificant, although positive, for this period. Adding a sixth factor that captures the investor’s confidence in the market is quite insensitive to other marcofactors. However, both the five factor by CRR and proposed six factor model show evidence of joint significance, which is a new property entered in this paper.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, K. C. & Chen, Nai-fu & Hsieh, David A., 1985. "An exploratory investigation of the firm size effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 451-471, September.
- Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1073-1103, December.
- Shanken, Jay, 1987. "Multivariate proxies and asset pricing relations : Living with the Roll critique," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 91-110, March.
- David H. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"What Moves Stock Prices?,"
487, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated".
"The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
02-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated". "The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Brown, Stephen J & Weinstein, Mark I, 1983. " A New Approach to Testing Asset Pricing Models: The Bilinear Paradigm," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 711-743, June.
- Douglas K. Pearce & V. Vance Roley, 1984.
"Stock Prices and Economic News,"
NBER Working Papers
1296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-887, September.
- Castanias, Richard P, II, 1979. "Macroinformation and the Variability of Stock Market Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 439-450, May.
- Shanken, Jay & Weinstein, Mark I., 2006. "Economic forces and the stock market revisited," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 129-144, March.
- Chan, K C, 1988. "On the Contrarian Investment Strategy," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(2), pages 147-163, April.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Mark J. Flannery & Aris A. Protopapadakis, 2002. "Macroeconomic Factors Do Influence Aggregate Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 751-782.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26343. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.