Minimizing Conditional Value-at-Risk under Constraint on Expected Value
Conditional Value-at-Risk (CVaR) measures the expected loss amount beyond VaR. It has vast advantage over VaR because of its property of coherence. This paper gives an analytical solution in a complete market setting to the risk reward problem faced by a portfolio manager whose portfolio needs to be continuously rebalanced to minimize risk taken (measured by CVaR) while meeting the reward goal (measured by expected return). The optimal portfolio is identified whenever it exists, and the associated minimal risk is calculated. An example in the Black-Scholes framework is cited where dynamic hedging strategy is calculated and the efficient frontier is plotted.
|Date of creation:||22 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:||25 Oct 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrzej Ruszczynski & Alexander Shapiro, 2004. "Conditional Risk Mappings," Risk and Insurance 0404002, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2005.
- Campbell, Rachel & Huisman, Ronald & Koedijk, Kees, 2001. "Optimal portfolio selection in a Value-at-Risk framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1789-1804, September.
- Alexander Schied, 2004. "On the Neyman-Pearson problem for law-invariant risk measures and robust utility functionals," Papers math/0407127, arXiv.org.
- Kramkov, D.O., 1994. "Optional decomposition of supermartingales and hedging contingent claims in incomplete security markets," Discussion Paper Serie B 294, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Jun Sekine, 2004. "Dynamic Minimization of Worst Conditional Expectation of Shortfall," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 605-618.
- Acerbi Carlo & Simonetti Prospero, 2002. "Portfolio Optimization with Spectral Measures of Risk," Papers cond-mat/0203607, arXiv.org.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2001. "On the coherence of Expected Shortfall," Papers cond-mat/0104295, arXiv.org, revised May 2002.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Birgit Rudloff, 2007. "Convex Hedging in Incomplete Markets," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 437-452.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Kondor, Imre & Pafka, Szilard & Nagy, Gabor, 2007. "Noise sensitivity of portfolio selection under various risk measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1545-1573, May.
- Imre Kondor & Szilard Pafka & Gabor Nagy, 2006. "Noise sensitivity of portfolio selection under various risk measures," Papers physics/0611027, arXiv.org.
- Consigli, Giorgio, 2002. "Tail estimation and mean-VaR portfolio selection in markets subject to financial instability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1355-1382, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.