Multiple equilibria and chaos in a discrete tâtonnement process
The purpose of this note is to demonstrate a sufficient condition for discrete tâtonnement process to lead to chaos in a general equilibrium model with multiple commodities. The result indicates that as the speed of price adjustment increases the discrete tâtonnement process is complex in a general equilibrium economy in which there are multiple equilibria.
|Date of creation:||15 Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Day, Richard H. & Pianigiani, Giulio, 1991. "Statistical dynamics and economics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 37-83, July.
- Goeree, Jacob K. & Hommes, Cars & Weddepohl, Claus, 1998. "Stability and complex dynamics in a discrete tatonnement model," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 395-410, January.
- Tuinstra, Jan, 2000. "A discrete and symmetric price adjustment process on the simplex," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-7), pages 881-907, June.
- Varian, Hal R, 1975. "A Third Remark on the Number of Equilibria of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 985-986, Sept.-Nov.
- Kaizouji, Taisei, 1994. "Multiple equilibria and chaotic tatonnement: Applications of the Yamaguti-Matano theorem," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 357-362, August.
- V. Medvedev, 1992. "Economic Theory," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 35(7), pages 55-73.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1972. "Smooth Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 603-615, July.
- Day, Richard H. & Pianigiani, Giulio, 1991. "Statistical Dynamics and Economics," Working Paper Series 293, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Anjan Mukherji, 1999. "A simple example of complex dynamics," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 14(3), pages 741-749.
- Weddepohl, Claus, 1995. "A cautious price adjustment mechanism: Chaotic behavior," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 293-300, July.
- Saari, Donald G, 1985. "Iterative Price Mechanisms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1117-1131, September.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1972. "Two Remarks on the Number of Equilibria of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 951-953, September.
- Tuinstra, Jan, 1997. "A price adjustment process with symmetry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 297-303, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.