The compromise efficiency vs. egalitarianism among generations with an infinite horizon
This paper concerns ethical aggregation of infinite utility streams. Position i is typically interpreted as the endowment of generation i. We analyze the broad question: In order for the social welfare to increase, the interest of how many generations can be respected if we intend to be "ethical"? Here "ethical" refers to verifying adequate equity axioms, and case-studies cover: extensions of restricted non-substitution; or Hammond Equity-related principles; together with the usual Anonymity axiom.
|Date of creation:||22 Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiaki Hara & Tomoichi Shinotsuka & Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 2008. "Continuity and egalitarianism in the evaluation of infinite utility streams," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 179-191, August.
- Toyotaka Sakai, 2006. "Equitable Intergenerational Preferences on Restricted Domains," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-54, August.
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2007. "Ordering infinite utility streams," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 579-589, July.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2005. "Possibility Theorems for Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams Equitably," Working Papers 05-05, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003.
"Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with Inter-generational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian,"
03-03, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kaushik Basu & Tapan Mitra, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with InterGenerational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1557-1563, 09.
- Alcantud, José C.R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2010.
"Paretian evaluation of infinite utility streams: An egalitarian criterion,"
Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 209-211, March.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2007. "Paretian evaluation of infinite utility streams: an egalitarian criterion," MPRA Paper 6324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.