Inequality averse criteria for evaluating infinite utility streams: The impossibility of Weak Pareto
This paper investigates ethical aggregation of infinite utility streams by representable social welfare relations. We prove that the Hammond Equity postulate and other variations of it like the Pigou–Dalton transfer principle are incompatible with positive responsiveness to welfare improvements by every generation. The case of Hammond Equity for the Future is investigated too.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1959. "Stationary Ordinal Utility and Impatience," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 81, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2007.
"Paretian evaluation of infinite utility streams: an egalitarian criterion,"
6324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alcantud, José C.R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2010. "Paretian evaluation of infinite utility streams: An egalitarian criterion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 209-211, March.
- Asheim, Geir B. & Mitra, Tapan & Tungodden, Bertil, 2006.
"Sustainable recursive social welfare functions,"
18/2006, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003.
"Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with Inter-generational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian,"
03-03, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kaushik Basu & Tapan Mitra, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with InterGenerational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1557-1563, 09.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2010.
"Evaluations of infinite utility streams: Pareto-efficient and egalitarian axiomatics,"
20133, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- José Carlos R. Alcantud & María D. García-Sanz, 2013. "Evaluations of Infinite Utility Streams: Pareto Efficient and Egalitarian Axiomatics," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 432-447, 07.
- Toyotaka Sakai, 2006. "Equitable Intergenerational Preferences on Restricted Domains," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-54, August.
- Chiaki Hara & Tomoichi Shinotsuka & Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 2008. "Continuity and egalitarianism in the evaluation of infinite utility streams," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 179-191, August.
- Banerjee, Kuntal, 2006. "On the equity-efficiency trade off in aggregating infinite utility streams," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 63-67, October.
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2007. "Ordering infinite utility streams," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 579-589, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:147:y:2012:i:1:p:353-363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.