On annuities: an overview of the issues
Longevity is increasing in the whole world, and savings for retirement are growing quickly. There is a potential demand for certainty in the income streams for pensioners since old-fashioned pay-as-you-go systems became financially stressed. A financial product, the annuity contract, offers longevity insurance but its market is not well developed, even in the small set of countries where it exists. The instrument, its market and its problems are analyzed, and a discussion is made in order to ameliorate the understanding of an apparent paradox: why an interesting instrument is not more demanded and supplied.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rocha, Roberto & Morales, Marco & Thorburn, Craig, 2008.
"An empirical analysis of the annuity rate in Chile,"
Journal of Pension Economics and Finance,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 95-119, March.
- Rocha, Roberto & Morales, Marco & Thorburn, Craig, 2006. "An empirical analysis of the annuity rate in Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3929, The World Bank.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott & Michael Sherris & Shaun Yow, 2006.
"Financial Innovation for an Aging World,"
NBER Working Papers
12444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfram Horneff & Raimond Maurer & Olivia Mitchell & Ivica Dus, 2006.
"Optimizing the Retirement Portfolio: Asset Allocation, Annuitization, and Risk Aversion,"
wp124, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Wolfram J. Horneff & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell & Ivica Dus, 2006. "Optimizing the Retirement Portfolio: Asset Allocation, Annuitization, and Risk Aversion," NBER Working Papers 12392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward R. Whitehouse, 2007. "Life-Expectancy Risk and Pensions: Who Bears the Burden?," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 60, OECD Publishing.
- Thorburn, Craig & Rocha, Roberto & Morales, Marco, 2006.
"An analysis of money's worth ratios in Chile,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3926, The World Bank.
- Allison Schrager & G. A. Mackenzie, 2004. "Can the Private Annuity Market Provide Secure Retirement Income?," IMF Working Papers 04/230, International Monetary Fund.
- Fiona Stewart, 2007. "Policy Issues for Developing Annuities Markets," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 2, OECD Publishing.
- G. A. Mackenzie, 2002. "The Role of Private Sector Annuities Markets in an Individual Accounts Reform of a Public Pension Plan," IMF Working Papers 02/161, International Monetary Fund.
- Alain Jousten, 2007. "Public Pension Reform: A Primer," IMF Working Papers 07/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & James M. Poterba, 2004. "Household Demand for Variable Annuities," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2004-8, Center for Retirement Research, revised Mar 2004.
- Tim Callen & Warwick J. McKibbin & Nicoletta Batini, 2006. "The Global Impact of Demographic Change," IMF Working Papers 06/9, International Monetary Fund.
- Cannon, Edmund & Tonks, Ian, 2008. "Annuity Markets," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199216994, July.
- Dus, Ivica & Maurer, Raimond H. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 2004.
"Betting on death and capital markets in retirement: A shortfall risk analysis of life annuities versus phased withdrawal plans,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2004/01, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ivica Dus & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2003. "Betting on Death and Capital Markets in Retirement: A Shortfall Risk Analysis of Life Annuities versus Phased Withdrawal Plans," Working Papers wp063, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- James M. Poterba, 2001. "Annuity markets and retirement security," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 249-270., September.
- Pablo Antolín, 2007.
"Longevity Risk and Private Pensions,"
OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions
3, OECD Publishing.
- E. Philip Davis, 2002. "Issues in the Regulation of Annuities Markets," CeRP Working Papers 26, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Irena Dushi & Anthony Webb, 2004. "Annuitization: Keeping Your Options Open," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2004-4, Center for Retirement Research, revised Mar 2004.
- David Blake & Andrew Cairns & Kevin Dowd & Richard MacMinn, 2006. "Longevity Bonds: Financial Engineering, Valuation, and Hedging," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 647-672.
- Thomas Davidoff & Jeffrey R. Brown & Peter A. Diamond, 2005.
"Annuities and Individual Welfare,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1573-1590, December.
- Estelle James & Xue Song, 2001. "Annuities Markets Around the World: Money’s Worth and Risk Intermediation," CeRP Working Papers 16, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.