Alternative Tilts for Nonparametric Option Pricing
This paper generalizes the nonparametric approach to option pricing of Stutzer (1996) by demonstrating that the canonical valuation methodology in- troduced therein is one member of the Cressie-Read family of divergence mea- sures. While the limiting distribution of the alternative measures is identical to the canonical measure, the finite sample properties are quite different. We assess the ability of the alternative divergence measures to price European call options by approximating the risk-neutral, equivalent martingale measure from an empirical distribution of the underlying asset. A simulation study of the finite sample properties of the alternative measure changes reveals that the optimal divergence measure depends upon how accurately the empirical distri- bution of the underlying asset is estimated. In a simple Black-Scholes model, the optimal measure change is contingent upon the number of outliers observed, whereas the optimal measure change is a function of time to expiration in the stochastic volatility model of Heston (1993). Our extension of Stutzer’s tech- nique preserves the clean analytic structure of imposing moment restrictions to price options, yet demonstrates that the nonparametric approach is even more general in pricing options than originally believed.
|Date of creation:||06 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Robertson & Ellis W. Tallman & Charles H. Whiteman, 2002.
"Forecasting using relative entropy,"
2002-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- M. Ryan Haley & M. Kevin McGee & Todd B. Walker, 2013.
"Disparity, Shortfall, and Twice-Endogenous HARA Utility,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 524-541, December.
- Walker, Todd & Haley, M. Ryan & McGee, M. Kevin, 2009. "Disparity, Shortfall, and Twice-Endogenous HARA Utility," MPRA Paper 17139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guido W. Imbens & Richard H. Spady & Phillip Johnson, 1998.
"Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 333-358, March.
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1736, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Imbens, G.W. & Johnson, P. & Spady, R.H., 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Movement Condition Models," Economics Papers 99, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Guido W Imbens, Phillip Johnson & Richard H Spady, . "Information theoretic approaches to inference in moment condition model," Economics Papers W12., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Buchen, Peter W. & Kelly, Michael, 1996. "The Maximum Entropy Distribution of an Asset Inferred from Option Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 143-159, March.
- Mark Broadie & Jérôme B. Detemple & Eric Ghysels & Olivier Torrès, 1996.
"American Options with Stochastic Dividends and Volatility: A Nonparametric Investigation,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome & Ghysels, Eric & Torres, Olivier, 2000. "American options with stochastic dividends and volatility: A nonparametric investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 53-92.
- Bera, Anil K. & Bilias, Yannis, 2002. "The MM, ME, ML, EL, EF and GMM approaches to estimation: a synthesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 51-86, March.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
- Garcia, Rene & Gencay, Ramazan, 2000.
"Pricing and hedging derivative securities with neural networks and a homogeneity hint,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 93-115.
- René Garcia & Ramazan Gençay, 1998. "Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities with Neural Networks and a Homogeneity Hint," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-35, CIRANO.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.