Competition and Growth in an Endogenous Growth Model with Expanding product Variety without Scale Effects Revisited
This paper shows that the results of Bianco (2006) depend critically on the assumption that there are no difference between the intermediate goods share in final output, the returns of specialization and the degree of market power of monopolistic competitors. In this paper, we disentangle the market power parameter from the intermediate goods share in final output and the returns to specialization. The main result of this paper is the death of the inverted-U shape relationship between competition and growth. Indeed, we find a decreasing relationship between competition and growth which is due to the composition of two negative effects on growth : resource allocation and Schumpeterian effects.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gancia, Gino & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2005.
"Horizontal Innovation in the Theory of Growth and Development,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 111-170
- Gino Gancia & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2005. "Horizontal Innovation in the Theory of Growth and Development," Working Papers 200, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gino Gancia & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2005. "Horizontal innovation in the theory of growth and development," Economics Working Papers 831, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Dominique Bianco, 2006. "Competition and growth in endogenous growth model with expanding product variety without scale effects," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 49(3), pages 191-202.
- Elias Dinopoulos & Peter Thompson, 1999. "Scale effects in Schumpeterian models of economic growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 157-185.
- Bianco, Dominique, 2007.
"An inverted-U relationship between product market competition and Growth in an extended romerian model : A comment,"
4492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dominique Bianco, 2007. "An Inverted U-Relationship between Product Market Competition and Growth in an Extended Romerian Model: A Comment," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(5), pages 245-258, September.
- Bianco, Dominique, 2007. "Competition and Growth in an Endogenous Growth Model with Expanding Product Variety without Scale Effects," MPRA Paper 6179, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Dec 2007.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16670. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.