Evaluating the Impact of Public Programs of Financial Aid to SMEs during times of crisis: The Spanish Experience
The aim of this paper is to study the differential effects of the public programs that provide financial aid to small and medium enterprises during times of crisis in Spain. We use different methods to control for potential selection bias. Our results show that the effects of these programs are stronger during times of crisis: during normal periods, these programs impact assets, sales, efficiency, and productivity growth, whereas during recessions, their effects extend to employment growth.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carretera de Utrera km.1, 41013 Sevilla|
Phone: + 34 954 97 7444
Fax: + 34 954 34 8353
Web page: http://www.upo.es/defc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roper, Stephen & Hewitt-Dundas, Nola, 1999.
"Grant Assistance and Small Firm Development in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa99pa396, European Regional Science Association.
- Roper, Stephen & Hewitt-Dundas, Nola, 2001. "Grant Assistance and Small Firm Development in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(1), pages 99-117, February.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Inha Oh & Jeong-Dong Lee & Almas Heshmati & Gyoung-Gyu Choi, 2009. "Evaluation of credit guarantee policy using propensity score matching," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 335-351, October.
- Lerner, Josh, 1999. "The Government as Venture Capitalist: The Long-Run Impact of the SBIR Program," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(3), pages 285-318, July.
- Ben Craig & William Jackson & James Thomson, 2008. "Credit market failure intervention: Do government sponsored small business credit programs enrich poorer areas?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 345-360, April.
- Graham K. Brown & Thanos Mergoupis, 2011. "Treatment interactions with nonexperimental data in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 11(4), pages 545-555, December.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Toivanen, Otto, 2005.
"Do financial constraints hold back innovation and growth?: Evidence on the role of public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1385-1403, November.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Toivanen, Otto, 2003. "Do Financial Constraints Hold Back Innovation and Growth? Evidence on the Role of Public Policy," Discussion Papers 820, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Vincent Chandler, 2012. "The economic impact of the Canada small business financing program," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 253-264, July.
- Brown, Graham & Mergoupis, Thanos, 2010. "Treatment Interaction with Non-Experimental Data in Stata," Department of Economics Working Papers 20960, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- repec:eid:wpaper:10/10 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:fiecac:12.04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.