Bootstrap co-integration rank testing: the role of deterministic variables and initial values in the bootstrap recursion
In this paper we investigate the role of deterministic components and initial values in bootstrap likelihood ratio type tests of co-integration rank. A number of bootstrap procedures have been proposed in the recent literature some of which include estimated deterministic components and non-zero initial values in the bootstrap recursion while others do the opposite. To date, however, there has not been a study into the relative performance of these two alternative approaches. In this paper we fill this gap in the literature and consider the impact of these choices on both OLS and GLS de-trended tests, in the case of the latter proposing a new bootstrap algorithm as part of our analysis. Overall, for OLS de-trended tests our findings suggest that it is preferable to take the computationally simpler approach of not including estimated deterministic components in the bootstrap recursion and setting the initial values of the bootstrap recursion to zero. For GLS de-trended tests, we find that the approach of Trenkler (2009), who includes a restricted estimate of the deterministic component in the bootstrap recursion, can improve finite sample behaviour further.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/grangercentre/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carsten Trenkler, 2008.
"Determining p-values for systems cointegration tests with a prior adjustment for deterministic terms,"
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 19-39, January.
- Trenkler, Carsten, 2004. "Determining p-values for Systems Cointegration Tests With a Prior Adjustment for Deterministic Terms," Papers 2004,37, Humboldt University of Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut & Trenkler, Carsten, 2006. "Break Date Estimation For Var Processes With Level Shift With An Application To Cointegration Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 15-68, February.
- Doornik, Jurgen A, 1998. " Approximations to the Asymptotic Distributions of Cointegration Tests," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-593, December.
- Jurgen A. Doornik, 1998. "Approximations To The Asymptotic Distributions Of Cointegration Tests," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-593, December.
- Trenkler, Carsten, 2009. "Bootstrapping Systems Cointegration Tests With A Prior Adjustment For Deterministic Terms," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 243-269, February.
- Carsten Trenkler, 2006. "Bootstrapping Systems Cointegration Tests with a Prior Adjustment for Deterministic Terms," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-012, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-430, March.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Rahbek, Anders & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2010. "Cointegration Rank Testing Under Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(06), pages 1719-1760, December.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A.M.Robert Taylor, 2009. "Co-integration Rank Testing under Conditional Heteroskedasticity," CREATES Research Papers 2009-22, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1991. "Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 819-840, September.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1987. "Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 2229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "Stochastic trends and economic fluctuations," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anders Rygh Swensen, 2006. "Bootstrap Algorithms for Testing and Determining the Cointegration Rank in VAR Models -super-1," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1699-1714, November.
- Soren Johansen, 2002. "A Small Sample Correction for the Test of Cointegrating Rank in the Vector Autoregressive Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1929-1961, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)