Errors in Output Deflators Revisited: Unit Values and the PPI
Extending a methodology developed by Lichtenberg and Griliches (1989), we examine the extent of measurement error in two independent indicators of price change: the producer price index (PPI) and the U.S. Census Bureau's unit value relative (UVR). Estimation of factor analytic models is improved by the availability of more accurate and comprehensive proxies for price and quality change within industries and a more complete specification of the econometric model. We find that the UVR is a "noisier measure of price change than the PPI and that the PPI adjusts for approximately 57% of product quality change.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as EI, Vol. 32, no. 1 (1994): 11-32.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ucp:bknber:9780226304557 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lichtenberg, Frank R & Griliches, Zvi, 1989.
"Errors of Measurement in Output Deflators,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord90-1, September.
- Zvi Griliches, 1991.
"Hedonic Price Indexes and the Measurement of Capital and Productivity: Some Historical Reflections,"
in: Fifty Years of Economic Measurement: The Jubilee of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, pages 185-206
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1988. "Hedonic Price Indexes and the Measurement of Capital and Productivity: Some Historical Reflections," NBER Working Papers 2634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederic Scherer, 1984. "Using Linked Patent and R&D Data to Measure Interindustry Technology Flows," NBER Chapters, in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 417-464 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3935. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.