Designing a Central Bank for Europe: A Cautionary Tale From the Early Years of the Federal Reserve System
Important questions concerning the structure and operation of a European central bank remain to be answered. Although there exists no precedent for the process of institution-building in which the European Community is currently engaged, the founding and early operation of the Federal Reserve System in the United States provides a suggestive parallel. It suggests that Stage 2 of the Delors Plan contains potential sources of instability. It suggests attempting a direct transition from Stage 1 (national monetary autonomy) to Stage 3 (centralization of authority). It suggests the need for more thought about voting and mediation procedures to be used to reconcile and aggregate national interests.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Establishing a Central Bank Matthew Canzoner; et al eds., Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 1992|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Bradford De Long, .
"`Liquidation' Cycles: Old-Fashioned Real Business Cycle Theory and the Great Depression,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_135, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- J. Bradford De Long, 1990. ""Liquidation" Cycles: Old-Fashioned Real Business Cycle Theory and the Great Depression," NBER Working Papers 3546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandra Casella & Jonathan Feinstein, 1988.
"Management of a Common Currency,"
NBER Working Papers
2740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Casella, Alessandra & Feinstein, Jonathan, 1988. "Management of a Common Currency," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5jv1h7nt, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Alessandra Casella and Jonathan Feinstein., 1988. "Management of a Common Currency," Economics Working Papers 8891, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1984.
"International Policy Coordination in Historical Perspective: A View from the Interwar Years,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
29, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1985. "International Policy Coordination in Historical Perspective: A View from the Interwar Years," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 139-183 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry J. Eichengreen, 1984. "International Policy Coordination in Historical Perspective: A View from the Interwar Years," NBER Working Papers 1440, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Temin, 1991. "Lessons from the Great Depression," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262700441, June.
- Hamilton, James D., 1987. "Monetary factors in the great depression," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 145-169, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521337809 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3840. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.