Rates Of Return On Physical And R&D Capital And Structure Of The Production Process: Cross Section And Time Series Evidence
R&D investment is an outcome of a corporate plan and is influenced by the exisintg technology, by prices, by product demand characteristics, and by the legacy of past capital stock decisions. In this paper we focus on the determinants and interaction of labor, physical capital and R&D. In particular, we investigate three major issues. The first relates to the nature of the factor substitution possibilities between the three inputs in response to changes in input pricees and estimate the own and cross once elasticities of the factors of production. The second problem pertains to the magnitude of which output expansion (or what may be considered the same thing, product demand growth) increases labor, physical, and R&D capital. Finally, we address the extent to which adjustment costs affect factor demands, and measure the magnitude of these costs for physical and R&D capital.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Bernstein, Jeffrey I. and M. Ishaq Nadiri. "Interindustry R&D Sillovers, Rates Of Return, And Production In High-Tech Industries," American Economic Review, 1988, v78(2), 429-433.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1973. "Generalized Costs of Adjustment and Dynamic Factor Demand Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 657-65, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983.
" Dynamic Factor Demands under Rational Expectations,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 223-38.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1982. "Dynamic Factor Demands Under Rational Expectations," NBER Working Papers 1015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Rotemberg, Julio., 1982. "Dynamic factor demands under rational expectations," Working papers 1351-82., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Minasian, Jora R, 1969. "Research and Development, Production Functions, and Rates of Return," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 80-85, May.
- Treadway, Arthur B., 1974. "The globally optimal flexible accelerator," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 17-39, January.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Returns to Research and Development Expenditures in the Private Sector,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 49-81
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1980. "Returns to Research and Development Expenditures in the Private Sector," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Measurement, pages 419-462 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Epstein, Larry G & Denny, Michael G S, 1983. "The Multivariate Flexible Accelerator Model: Its Empirical Restrictions and an Application to U.S. Manufacturing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 647-74, May.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & George C. Bitros, 1980. "Research and Development Expenditures and Labor Productivity at the Firm Level: A Dynamic Model," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Measurement, pages 387-418 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morrison, C. J. & Berndt, E. R., 1981. "Short-run labor productivity in a dynamic model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 339-365, August.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Richard Meese, 1980.
"Dynamic factor demand schedules for labor and capital under rational expectations,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
153, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Meese, Richard, 1980. "Dynamic factor demand schedules for labor and capital under rational expectations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 141-158, September.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Jean-Jacques Laffont, 1974. "Efficient Estimation of Nonlinear Simultaneous Equations with Additive Disturbances," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 615-640 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1980. "Sectoral Productivity Slowdown," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 349-52, May.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-86, September.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1980. "Sectoral Productivity Slowdown," NBER Working Papers 0423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2570. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.