Take-Up of Public Insurance and Crowd-out of Private Insurance Under Recent CHIP Expansions to Higher Income Children
We analyze the effects of states' expansions of CHIP eligibility to children in higher income families during 2002-2009 on take-up of public coverage, crowd-out of private coverage, and rates of uninsurance. Our results indicate these expansions were associated with limited uptake of public coverage and only a two percentage point reduction in the uninsurance rate among these children. Because not all of the take-up of public insurance among eligible children is accounted for by children who transfer from being uninsured to having public insurance, our results suggest that there may be some crowd-out of private insurance coverage; the upper bound crowd-out rate we calculate is 46 percent.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Gresenz CR, Edgington S, Laugesen M, Escarce JJ, “Take-Up of Public Insurance and Crowd-Out of Private Insurance under Recent CHIP Expansions to Higher Income Children,” Health Services Research, 2012 Oct; 47(5): 1999-2011.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ham, John C. & Shore-Sheppard, Lara, 2005.
"The effect of Medicaid expansions for low-income children on Medicaid participation and private insurance coverage: evidence from the SIPP,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 57-83, January.
- Lara D. Shore-Sheppard & John C. Ham, 2003. "The Effect of Medicaid Expansions for Low-Income Children on Medicaid Participation and Private Insurance Coverage : Evidence from the SIPP," Department of Economics Working Papers 2003-10, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Lo Sasso, Anthony T. & Buchmueller, Thomas C., 2004.
"The effect of the state children's health insurance program on health insurance coverage,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 1059-1082, September.
- Anthony T. LoSasso & Thomas C. Buchmueller, 2002. "The Effect of the State Children's Health Insurance Program on Health Insurance Coverage," NBER Working Papers 9405, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber, Jonathan & Simon, Kosali, 2008. "Crowd-out 10 years later: Have recent public insurance expansions crowded out private health insurance?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 201-217, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17658. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.