The Determinants of Food Aid Provisions to Africa and the Developing World
We examine the supply-side and demand-side determinants of global bilateral food aid shipments between 1971 and 2008. First, we find that domestic food production in developing countries is negatively correlated with subsequent food aid receipts, suggesting that food aid receipt is partly driven by local food shortages. Interestingly, food aid from some of the largest donors is the least responsive to production shocks in recipient countries. Second, we show that U.S. food aid is partly driven by domestic production surpluses, whereas former colonial ties are an important determinant for European countries. Third, amongst recipients, former colonial ties are especially important for African countries. Finally, aid flows to countries with former colonial ties are less responsive to recipient production, especially for African countries.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming: The Determinants of Food Aid Provisions to Africa and the Developing World , Nathan Nunn, Nancy Qian. in African Successes: Sustainable Growth, Volume 4 , Edwards, Johnson, and Weil. 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Levinsohn & Margaret McMillan, 2007.
"Does Food Aid Harm the Poor? Household Evidence from Ethiopia,"
in: Globalization and Poverty, pages 561-598
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Levinsohn & Margaret McMillan, 2005. "Does Food Aid Harm the Poor? Household Evidence from Ethiopia," NBER Working Papers 11048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2003.
"Food Aid and Child Nutrition in Rural Ethiopia,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1309-1324, July.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2003. "Food aid and child nutrition in rural Ethiopia," FCND briefs 158, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2003. "Food aid and child nutrition in rural Ethiopia," FCND discussion papers 158, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Barrett E. Kirwan & Margaret McMillan, 2007. "Food Aid and Poverty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1152-1160.
- Takashi Yamano & Harold Alderman & Luc Christiaensen, 2005.
"Child Growth, Shocks, and Food Aid in Rural Ethiopia,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 273-288.
- Yamano, Takashi & Alderman, Harold & Christiaensen, Luc J.M., 2003. "Child Growth, Shocks, And Food Aid In Rural Ethiopia," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25838, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Takashi Yamano & Harold Alderman & Luc Christiaensen, 2003. "Child growth, shocks, and food aid in rural Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3128, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:16610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.