The Roles of the Terms of Trade and Nontraded-Good-Prices in Exchange Rate Variations
This paper demonstrates that disturbances to supplies or demands for internationally traded goods affect exchange-rates differently than do disturbances in markets for nontraded goods. The paper develops a stochastic two-country equilibrium model of exchange rates, asset prices, and goods prices, with two internationally traded goods and a nontraded good in each country. Optimal portfolios differ across countries because of differences in consumption bundles. Changes in exchange-rates, asset prices, and goods prices occur in response to underlying disturbances to supplies and demands for goods. We examine the ways in which responses of the exchange-rate are related to parameters of tastes and production shares, and we discuss conditions under which these exchange-rate responses are "large" compared to the responses of ratios of nominal price indexes.
|Date of creation:||May 1984|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as "International Portfolio Nondiversification and Exchange Rate Variability." From Journal of International Economics, Vol. 26, No. 3/4, pp. 271-289,(May 1989).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Stockman, Alan C., 1985.
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 917-977
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-86, September.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
122, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1985. "Currency prices, terms of trade, and interest rates: A general equilibrium asset-pricing cash-in-advance approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 17-41, February.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981.
"An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 865-90, October.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes," Scholarly Articles 3445091, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.