Does How Much and How You Pay Matter? Evidence from the Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Prospective Payment System
We use the implementation of a new prospective payment system (PPS) for inpatient rehabilitation facilities (IRFs) to investigate the effect of changes in marginal and average reimbursement on costs. The results show that the IRF PPS led to a significant decline in costs and length of stay. Changes in marginal reimbursement associated with the move from a cost based system to a PPS led to a 7 to 11% reduction in costs. The elasticity of costs with respect average reimbursement ranged from 0.26 to 0.34. Finally, the IRF PPS had little or no impact on costs in other sites of care, mortality, or the rate of return to community residence.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Sood, Neeraj, Melinda Beeuwkes Buntin, and Jose J. Escarce. "Does How Much and How You Pay Matter? Evidence from the Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Prospective Payment System." Journal of Health Economics 27, 4 (July 2008): 1046-1059.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall P. Ellis & Thomas G. McGuire, 1994.
"Hospital Response to Prospective Payment: Moral Hazard, Selection, and Practice-Style Effects,"
0050, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Ellis, Randall P. & McGuire, Thomas G., 1996. "Hospital response to prospective payment: Moral hazard, selection, and practice-style effects," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 257-277, June.
- David M. Cutler, 1993.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments,"
NBER Working Papers
4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David M, 1995. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- Cutler, D.M., 1992. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Hodgkin, Dominic & McGuire, Thomas G., 1994. "Payment levels and hospital response to prospective payment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Frank, Richard G. & McGuire, Thomas G., 2000. "Economics and mental health," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 893-954 Elsevier.
- Shen, Yu-Chu, 2003. "The effect of financial pressure on the quality of care in hospitals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 243-269, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:12556. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.