Capital Structure Change and Decreases in Stockholders' Wealth: A Cross-Sectional Study of Convertible Security Calls
This paper is a cross-sectional analysis of the relationship between common stock price reactions to announcements of convertible security calls and variables that represent possible determinants of changes in common stockholders' wealth. The variables are measures of the following effects of convertible security calls: (1) the change in interest expense tax shields, (2) the potential redistribution of wealth from common stockholders to preferred stockholders and debt holders,(3) the decrease in the value of conversion privileges heldby convertible security holders, (4) the relative increase in shares outstanding and (5) the change in earnings per share. A significant relationshipis found only between the measure of the reduction in interest expense tax shields and the stock price response to call announcements.The apparent corporate tax effect is consistent with some combination of effects due to (1) a reduction in interest expense tax shields and (2) unfavorable information about the calling firm's value of earnings prospects that is conveyed by a call of convertible securities.The evidence is consistent with theories of capital structure that imply optimal financial leverage depends on earnings prospects and with theories that imply reductions in leverage convey unfavorable information about firm value.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1983|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Mikkelson, Wayne H. "Capital Structure Change and Decreases in Stockholders' Wealth: A Cross-Sectional Study of Convertible Security Calls." Corporate Capital Structures in the United States, ed. by Benjamin M. Friedman. Chicago UCP. (1985), pp. 265-296.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dann, Larry Y., 1981. "Common stock repurchases : An analysis of returns to bondholders and stockholders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 113-138, June.
- Marsh, Paul, 1979. "Equity Rights Issues and the Efficiency of the UK Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(4), pages 839-62, September.
- Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "The effects of capital structure change on security prices : A study of exchange offers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 139-178, June.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H., 1981. "Convertible calls and security returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 237-264, September.
- Masulis, Ronald W, 1983. " The Impact of Capital Structure Change on Firm Value: Some Estimates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 107-26, March.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.