Identifying Identical Distributed Lag Structures by the Use of Prior SumConstraints
This paper derives an estimation procedure which, when the same distributed lag appears twice in an equation to be estimated by least-squares regression, identifies all of the relevant coefficients and lag weights and also constrains the two sets of individual lag weights to be identical. The procedure for solving this identification-constraint problem involves prior imposition of a restriction on the lag weight sum -- i.e., it is necessary to impose the sum restriction before estimating the equation. A further useful feature of the derived procedure is that it facilitates conveniently imposing the sum restriction on all of the weights in a distributed lag even if the leading weight is independent of a polynomial restriction imposed on the others.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1977|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Benjamin M. Friedman & V. Vance Roles, 1977. "Identifying Identical Distributed Lag Structures By The Use Of Prior Sum Constraints," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 6, number 4, pages 100-116 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiller, Robert J, 1973. "A Distributed Lag Estimator Derived from Smoothness Priors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 775-88, July.
- Durbin, J, 1970. "Testing for Serial Correlation in Least-Squares Regression When Some of the Regressors are Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 410-21, May.
- Modigliani, Franco & Shiller, Robert J, 1973. "Inflation, Rational Expectations and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 40(157), pages 12-43, February.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1971. "A Note on the 'Accelerationist' Controversy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 721-25, August.
- William C. Brainard & James Tobin, 1968. "Pitfalls in Financial Model-Building," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 244, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.