Existence of competitive equilibria with externalities : a differential viewpoint
We consider a class of pure exchange economies with externalities. The consumption set and the preferences of each household depend on his initial endowment and on the actions of the other households. We give a definition of competitive equilibrium with externalities which includes as particular case the classical definition. Under differentiability and boundary conditions, we show that for all economies there exist competitive equilibria with strictly positive consumptions and prices. Our approach is based on homotopy arguments in differential topology, where it is possible describe equilibria in terms of first order conditions and market clearing conditions.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13|
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonnisseau, J.M., 1995.
"Existence of Equilibria in Economies with Externalities and Non Convexities,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
95.45, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau, 1997. "Existence of Equilibria in Economies with Externalities and Nonconvexities," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00176205, HAL.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974.
"Some Theorems on the Existence of Competitive Equilibrium,"
103, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975. "Some theorems on the existence of competitive equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 83-93, August.
- Monique Florenzano, 2007.
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Monique Florenzano, 2008. "General equilibrium," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08005, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Jorge Rivera Cayupi, 2003.
"The equilibrium manifold with boundary constraints on the consumption sets,"
Estudios de Economia,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 30(2 Year 20), pages 225-240, December.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Jorge Rivera Cayupi, 2002. "The equilibrium manifold with Boundary constraints on the Consumption sets," Working Papers wp196, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1990.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521388702, November.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975.
"Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974. "Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences," Discussion Papers 94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- del Mercato, Elena L., 2006.
"Existence of competitive equilibria with externalities: A differential viewpoint,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 525-543, August.
- Elena Laureana Del Mercato, 2004. "Existence of competitive equilibria with externalities : a differential viewpoint," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b04078, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- DEBREU, Gérard, .
"Economies with a finite set of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
67, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Smale, S., 1974. "Global analysis and economics IIA : Extension of a theorem of Debreu," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:b04078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.