On the use of data envelopment analysis in hedge fund performance appraisal
Previous studies have documented that Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) could be a good tool to evaluate fund performance, especially the performance of hedge funds as it can incorporate multiple risk-return attributes characterizing hedge fund's non normal return distribution in an unique performance score. The main purpose of this paper is to enlarge the use of DEA to the context of hedge fund selection when investors face up multiple objectives, each one associated to a different important level. We show that DEA can be a powerful decision-making supplement to assist investors in selecting funds that correspond the most to their risk-aversion, financial, diversification and investment horizon constraints
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jati Sengupta, 2003. "Efficiency tests for mutual fund portfolios," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(12), pages 869-876.
- Yoon K. Choi & B.P.S. Murthi, 2001. "Relative Performance Evaluation of Mutual Funds: A Non-Parametric Approach," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(7&8), pages 853-876.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Morey, Richard C., 1999. "Mutual fund performance appraisals: a multi-horizon perspective with endogenous benchmarking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 241-258, April.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Murthi, B. P. S. & Choi, Yoon K. & Desai, Preyas, 1997. "Efficiency of mutual funds and portfolio performance measurement: A non-parametric approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 408-418, April.
- Sarrico, C. S. & Dyson, R. G., 2004. "Restricting virtual weights in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 17-34, November.
- R. Allen & A. Athanassopoulos & R.G. Dyson & E. Thanassoulis, 1997. "Weights restrictions and value judgements in Data Envelopment Analysis: Evolution, development and future directions," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 73(0), pages 13-34, October.
- Huyen Nguyen-Thi-Thanh, 2004. "Hedge fund behavior: An ex-post analysis," Working Papers halshs-00067744, HAL.
- W. Cooper & Shanling Li & L. Seiford & Kaoru Tone & R. Thrall & J. Zhu, 2001. "Sensitivity and Stability Analysis in DEA: Some Recent Developments," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 217-246, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Gregoriou, Greg N. & Sedzro, Komlan & Zhu, Joe, 2005. "Hedge fund performance appraisal using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 555-571, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Basso, Antonella & Funari, Stefania, 2001. "A data envelopment analysis approach to measure the mutual fund performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 477-492, December.
- Carl Ackermann & Richard McEnally & David Ravenscraft, 1999. "The Performance of Hedge Funds: Risk, Return, and Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 833-874, 06.
- Zhu, Joe, 2001. "Super-efficiency and DEA sensitivity analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 443-455, March.
- Brown, Keith C & Harlow, W V & Starks, Laura T, 1996. " Of Tournaments and Temptations: An Analysis of Managerial Incentives in the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 85-110, March.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 1998. "Stability regions for maintaining efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 127-139, July.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mmf:mmfc06:131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.