On Dagum’s Decomposition of the Gini Coefficient
To measure the contributions to inequality from population subgroups, the Gini coefficient is often decomposed into inequality within groups, inequality between groups and a residual term arising from the overlapping of income distributions from different groups. In this paper we show that two decompositions presented separately in the literature, a traditional decomposition and a decomposition suggested by Dagum (1997), are identical, a fact not previously acknowledged in the literature
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 4th Floor, FBE Building, Level 4, 111 Barry Street. Victoria, 3010, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 5355
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sastry, D V S & Kelkar, Ujwala R, 1994. "Note on the Decomposition of Gini Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 584-86, August.
- Branko Milanovic, 2002.
"True World Income Distribution, 1988 and 1993: First Calculation Based on Household Surveys Alone,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 51-92, January.
- Branko milanovic, 2003. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculation based on household surveys alo," HEW 0305002, EconWPA.
- Milanovic, Branko, 1999. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993 - first calculations, based on household surveys alone," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2244, The World Bank.
- Creedy, J. & Lambert, P.J. & van de Ven, J., 2001.
"Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
781, The University of Melbourne.
- van de Ven, Justin & Creedy, John & Lambert, Peter J, 2001. " Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(3), pages 381-94, July.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Lambert, Peter J & Aronson, J Richard, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition Analysis and the Gini Coefficient Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1221-27, September.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1997. "A New Approach to the Decomposition of the Gini Income Inequality Ratio," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 515-31.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mlb:wpaper:1054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katherine Perez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.