Product market competition and collateralized debt
This paper presents a model where bank credit depends upon borrowers.product market structure. We show that a larger number of competitors in the industry may increase credit availability by enhancing the resale value of the collateralized productive assets. We also study how this bene.t of competition is affected by the existence of outsiders willing to bid for the collateralized productive assets of the insiders. Our model encompasses the standard case of Cournot competition either when the default probability goes to zero or when there are multiple outsiders bidding for the productive assets. We test the empirical implications of the theoretical analysis exploiting information on the access to finance of small and medium Italian firms and find supportive evidence.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Ateneo Nuovo, 1 Milano 20126|
Phone: +39 02 6448 3089
Fax: +39 02 6448 3085
Web page: http://dems.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Efraim Benmelech & Nittai K. Bergman, 2010.
"Bankruptcy and the Collateral Channel,"
NBER Working Papers
15708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo & Hackbarth, Dirk, 2011.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 526-558.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Chizzolini, Barbara & Ivaldi, Marc, 2009.
"The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry,"
IDEI Working Papers
582, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 07 Jun 2012.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Chizzolini, Barbara & Ivaldi, Marc, 2009. "The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry," TSE Working Papers 09-113, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised 07 Jun 2012.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Chizzolini, Barbara & Ivaldi, Marc, 2010. "The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 7618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vittoria Cerasi & Barbara Chizzolini & Marc Ivaldi, 2010. "The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry," Working Papers 2010.95, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Benmelech, Efraim & Bergman, Nittai K., 2009.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 339-360, March.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and The Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-691.
- Massimo Colombo & Luca Grilli, 2007. "Funding Gaps? Access To Bank Loans By High-Tech Start-Ups," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 25-46, June.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "Asset liquidity and financial contracts: Evidence from aircraft leases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 62-84, January.
- Cerasi Vittoria & Fedele Alessandro, 2011. "Does Product Market Competition Increase Credit Availability?," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-27, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mib:wpaper:238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.