Habits, Market Power, and Policy Selection
This paper examines monopolistic behavior in a framework with habit formation and consumer commitment. We show that time consistent output and pricing policies yield di®erent market outcomes. Policy selection determines the strategic properties of the producer's intra-personal game: current and future quantities are strategic com- plements, while current and future prices are strategic substitutes. In both a simple two-period model and an in¯nite-horizon model, we ¯nd that pricing policies allow the monopolist to attain higher equilibrium pro¯ts.
|Date of creation:||17 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming: Under Review|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 248126, Coral Gables, FL 33124-6550|
Phone: (305) 284-5540
Fax: (305) 284-2985
Web page: http://www.bus.miami.edu/faculty-and-research/academic-departments/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew Rabin & Ted O'Donoghue, 1999.
"Doing It Now or Later,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 103-124, March.
- Ted O'Donoghue & Matthew Rabin, 1996. "Doing It Now or Later," Discussion Papers 1172, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- O'Donoghue, Ted & Rabin, Matthew, 1997. "Doing It Now or Later," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7t44m5b0, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ted O'Donoghue and Matthew Rabin ., 1997. "Doing It Now or Later," Economics Working Papers 97-253, University of California at Berkeley.
- Becker, Gary S & Grossman, Michael & Murphy, Kevin M, 1994.
"An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 396-418, June.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," NBER Working Papers 3322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 61, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Messinis, G., 1998.
"Habit Formation and the Theory of Addiction,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
635, The University of Melbourne.
- Benabou, R. & Tirole, J., 2001.
"Willpower and Personal Rules,"
216, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Karp, Larry, 1995.
"Monopoly Power can be Disadvantageous in the Extraction of a Durable Nonrenewable Resource,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt4cs0m1vb, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry, 1996. "Monopoly Power Can Be Disadvantageous in the Extraction of a Durable Nonrenewable Resource," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 825-49, November.
- Karp, L., 1992. "Monopoly power can be disadvantageous in the extraction of a durable nonrenewable resource," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9209, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Igal Hendel & Paolo Dudine & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2006. "Storable Good Monopoly: The Role of Commitment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1706-1719, December.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1970. "Habit Formation and Dynamic Demand Functions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 745-63, Part I Ju.
- Driskill, Robert & McCafferty, Stephen, 2001. "Monopoly and Oligopoly Provision of Addictive Goods," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 43-72, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mia:wpaper:0702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher Parmeter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.