On The Estimation and Testing of Fixed Effects Panel Data Models with Weak Instruments
This paper studies the asymptotic properties of within groups k-class estimators in a panel data model with weak instruments. Weak instruments are characterized by the coefficients of the instruments in the reduced form equation shrinking to zero at a rate proportional to nTδ ; where n is the dimension of the cross-section and T is the dimension of the time series. Joint limits as (n,T )→∞ show that this within group k-class estimator is consistent if 0 ≤δ ≤ ½ and inconsistent if ½ ≤δ ≤ ∞. Key Words: Weak Instrument; Panel Data; fixed effects; Pitman drift local-to-zero JEL No. C13, C33
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (315) 443-3114
Fax: (315) 443-1081
Web page: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/cpr.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Moon, Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2007.
"Incidental trends and the power of panel unit root tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 416-459, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron, 2004. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm414, Yale School of Management.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1435, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2005. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," IEPR Working Papers 05.38, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Marcelo J. Moreira, 2003. "A Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test for Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1027-1048, 07.
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2010. "Instrumental Variable Estimation In A Data Rich Environment," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(06), pages 1577-1606, December.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Marcelo J. Moreira & James H. Stock, 2006. "Optimal Two-Sided Invariant Similar Tests for Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 715-752, 05.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2002. "Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1781-1803, September.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Zongwu Cai & Ying Fang & Henong Li, 2013. "Weak Instrumental Variables Models for Longitudinal Data," Papers 2013-10-14, Working Paper.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Moreira, Marcelo J., 2009. "Tests with correct size when instruments can be arbitrarily weak," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 131-140, October.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J., 1984. "Approximating the distributions of econometric estimators and test statistics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 881-935 Elsevier.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:max:cprwps:143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelly Bogart)or (Katrina Wingle)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.