Growth with Unused Capacity and Endogenous Depreciation
This paper contributes to the debate on income growth and distribution from a nonmainstream perspective. It looks, in particular, at the role that the degree of capacity utilization plays in the process of growth of an economy that is not perfectly competitive. The distinctive feature of the model presented in the paper is the hypothesis that the rate of capital depreciation is an increasing function of the degree of capacity utilization. This hypothesis implies analytical results that differ somewhat from those yielded by other Kaleckian models. Our model shows that, in a number of cases, the process of growth can be profit-led rather than wage-led. The model also determines the value to which the degree of capacity utilization converges in the long run.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckhard Hein & Marc Lavoie & Till van Treeck, 2011.
"Some instability puzzles in Kaleckian models of growth and distribution: a critical survey,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 587-612.
- Eckhard Hein & Marc Lavoie & Till van Treeck, 2008. "Some instability puzzles in Kaleckian models of growth and distribution: A critical survey," IMK Working Paper 19-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Patriarca, Fabrizio, 2012.
"Time-to-build, obsolescence and the technological paradox,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-10.
- Fabrizio Patriarca, 2010. "Time-to-build obsolescence and the technological paradox," Working Papers 6, Doctoral School of Economics, Sapienza University of Rome, revised 2010.
- Eleni Angelopoulou & Sarantis Kalyvitis, 2011.
"Estimating the Euler Equation for Aggregate Investment with Endogenous Capital Depreciation,"
DEOS Working Papers
1117, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Eleni Angelopoulou & Sarantis Kalyvitis, 2012. "Estimating the Euler Equation for Aggregate Investment with Endogenous Capital Depreciation," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 1057-1078, January.
- Peter Skott, 2010.
"Growth, Instability and Cycles: Harrodian and Kaleckian Models of Accumulation and Income Distribution,"
in: Handbook of Alternative Theories of Economic Growth, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Peter Skott, 2008. "Growth, instability and cycles: Harrodian and Kaleckian models of accumulation and income distribution," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-12, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Michalis Nikiforos, 2012.
"The (Normal) Rate of Capacity Utilization at the Firm Level,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_737, Levy Economics Institute.
- Michalis Nikiforos, 2013. "The (Normal) Rate of Capacity Utilization at the Firm Level," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 513-538, 07.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1995.
"The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and Its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 789-818, December.
- Lavoie, M., 1992. "The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques," Working Papers 9201e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- A. Michael Spence, 1977. "Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 534-544, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lev:wrkpap:wp_795. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.