Modern Money Theory 101: A Reply to Critics
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Louis-Philippe Rochon & Matias Vernengo & Louis-Philippe Rochon & Matias Vernengo, 2003. "State money and the real world: or chartalism and its discontents," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(1), pages 57-67.
- Claude Gnos & Louis-Philippe Rochon, 2002.
"Money Creation and the State : A Critical Assessment of Chartalism,"
International Journal of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 41-57.
- Claude Gnos & Louis-Philippe Rochon, 2004. "Money creation and the state : A critical assessment ofchartalism," Post-Print halshs-00006873, HAL.
- Marc Lavoie, 2013.
"The Monetary and Fiscal Nexus of Neo-Chartalism: A Friendly Critique,"
Journal of Economic Issues,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(1), pages 1-32.
- Marc Lavoie, 2013. "The monetary and fiscal nexus of neo-chartalism: A friendly critique," Post-Print hal-01343744, HAL.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2015.
"Money, Fiscal Policy, and Interest Rates: A Critique of Modern Monetary Theory,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2013. "Money, fiscal policy, and interest rates: A critique of Modern Monetary Theory," IMK Working Paper 109-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Milton H. Marquis, 2002. "Setting the interest rate," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue oct11.
- Marco Bassetto & Todd Messer, 2013.
"Fiscal Consequences of Paying Interest on Reserves,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 34, pages 413-436, December.
- Marco Bassetto & Todd Messer, 2013. "Fiscal consequences of paying interest on reserves," Working Paper Series WP-2013-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hassan Bougrine & Mario Seccareccia, 2002. "Money, Taxes, Public Spending, and the State Within a Circuitist Perspective," International Journal of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 58-79.
- Stephanie Bell & L. Randall Wray, 2002. "Fiscal effects on reserves and the independence of the Fed," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 263-271.
- Eric Tymoigne, 2014. "Modern Money Theory, and Interrelations Between the Treasury and Central Bank: The Case of the United States," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 641-662.
- William Mitchell & Joan Muysken, 2010. "Full employment abandoned: shifting sands and policy failures," International Journal of Public Policy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(4), pages 295-313.
- Scott T. Fullwiler, 2006. "Setting interest rates in the modern money era," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 496-525.
- Ann-Marie Meulendyke, 1998. "U.S. monetary policy and financial markets," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, number 1998mpaf.
- Alain Parguez, 1999. "The Expected Failure of the European Economic and Monetary Union: A False Money against the Real Economy," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 63-76, Winter.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2014. "The theory of global imbalances: mainstream economics vs. structural Keynesianism," IMK Working Paper 136-2014, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- repec:bla:ecaffa:v:37:y:2017:i:2:p:197-212 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tianhao Zhi, 2016. "Animal Spirits and Financial Instability - A Disequilibrium Macroeconomic Perspective," PhD Thesis, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney, number 28, january-d.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2015. "The Critics of Modern Money Theory (MMT) are Right," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 45-61, January.
- Pedro Leao, 2015. "Is a Very High Public Debt a Problem?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_843, Levy Economics Institute.
- Tianhao Zhi, 2015. "A Critique of Modern Money Theory and the Disequilibrium Dynamics of Banking and Government Finance," Working Paper Series 184, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
More about this item
KeywordsModern Money Theory; Price Stability; Full Employment; Financial Stability; Money;
- B5 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches
- E10 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - General
- E11 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Marxian; Sraffian; Kaleckian
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2013-11-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2013-11-16 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2013-11-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-11-16 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2013-11-16 (Post Keynesian Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lev:wrkpap:wp_778. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Dunn). General contact details of provider: http://www.levyinstitute.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.