Markup Pricing and Demand Uncertainty
In standard market theory demand and cost functions have to be known to compute optimal price or quantity responses. In case of risk or uncertainty the decisions depend on expectations, i.e. estimated parameters. Even in case of rational inference these expectations itself are uncertain, at least in case of limited cognitive abilities, perception or processing errors. Therefore ex post the expected utility maximizing behavior is not optimal in general. This paper shows that simple rules like Markup Pricing are more robust against errors and estimation risk and could outperform usual rational decision making.
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 1997|
|Date of revision:||01 Jun 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-jena.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: If a paper is not downloadable, please contact the author(s) or the library of University of Jena, not the archive maintainer.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leland, Hayne E, 1972. "Theory of the Firm Facing Uncertain Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 278-91, June.
- Nishimura, Kiyohiko G, 1989. "Customer Markets and Price Sensitivity," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(222), pages 187-98, May.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Sticky Prices in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1187-1211, December.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Stefano Scarpetta & Dirk Pilat, 1996. "Mark-Up Ratios in Manufacturing Industries: Estimates for 14 OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 162, OECD Publishing.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy PARK & Luanne LOHR, 1996.
"Wholesaler Markup Decisions Under Demand Uncertainty,"
96-13, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Park, Timothy A. & Lohr, Luanne, 1996. "Wholesaler Markup Decisions Under Demand Uncertainty," Faculty Series 16699, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- R.W. Fraser, 1984.
"Uncertainty and the Theory of Mark-Up Pricing,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
84-04, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jen:jenavo:1997-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.