Asset Stripping, Rule of Law and Firm Survival: The Hoff-Stiglitz Model and Mass Privatization in Montenegro
We provide the first test of the Hoff and Stiglitz (2004) model predicting whether and under what conditions mass privatizations are accompanied by asset stripping. In addition to directly testing the theory, we also tackle an important policy-oriented issue of why a large number of efficient firms disappeared during mass privatization in a booming economy of Montenegro. Econometrically, we present the first study to look at firms that disappeared during a mass privatization transition, improving upon prior studies that focused only on existing firms and assumed away survival bias. Our analysis suggests that asset stripping and firm disappearance were present, and that asset stripping was a likely reason for the loss of efficient firms. We show that because more productive firms were liquidated, it is important to model survival bias in the selection of firms remaining in samples when estimating the effects of privatization or other ownership changes. We also show that one needs to distinguish between true start-ups and liquidated firms that re-appear as start-ups. In the absence of the rule of law, many firms that appear to have disappeared were in fact appropriated by managers and politically connected individuals.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2004.
"After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 753-763, June.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies," NBER Working Papers 9282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2002. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the emergence of the rule of law in post-communist societies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2934, The World Bank.
- Campos, Nauro F & Giovannoni, Francesco, 2006.
"The Determinants of Asset Stripping: Theory and Evidence from the Transition Economies,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(2), pages 681-706, October.
- Nauro F. Campos & Francesco Giovannoni, 2005. "The Determinants of Asset Stripping: Theory and Evidence From the Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp786, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Campos, Nauro F & Giovannoni, Francesco, 2005. "The Determinants of Asset Stripping: Theory and Evidence from the Transition Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 1867, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Campos, Nauro F & Giovannoni, Francesco, 2005. "The Determinants of Asset Stripping: Theory and Evidence from the Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 5215, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Polona Domadenik & Janez Prašnikar & Jan Svejnar, 2008. "Restructuring of firms in transition: ownership, institutions and openness to trade," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 725-746, June.
- Božidar Cerović & Radmila Mitrović, 2007. "Privatisation Effects: Some Evidence from Serbia," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 469-487, December.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7821. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.