Establishment of Science Parks in the Federal Region of Kurdistan
New growth models consider the role of technology in production. The link between product flows and information flows in international trade suggests investment in information technology as a leading sector in the developing countries growth. Several studies establish relationships between technology applications, capital formation and economic growth. Therefore establishment of Science Parks is relevant to the investment policies directed towards a rapid economic development. However, a new industrial technology policy and participation in the globalization process must be accompanied by market reforms, organizational change and comprehensive investment in human resources and other development infrastructures to raise production capacity and capability of the labour force to achieve a sustainable knowledge based economic development in the long-run. This essay proposes establishment of Science Parks in the Federal Region of Kurdistan and discusses necessary conditions for such investment to become fruitful and with expected impacts on the region’s economic development.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Publication status:||published in: Almas Heshmati, The Economy of Southern Kurdistan, New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fukugawa, Nobuya, 2006. "Science parks in Japan and their value-added contributions to new technology-based firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 381-400, March.
- Hans Loof & Almas Heshmati, 2006.
"On the relationship between innovation and performance: A sensitivity analysis,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 317-344.
- Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2001. "On the Relationship between Innovation and Performance: A sensitivity Analysis," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0446, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2001.
- Roghieh Gholami & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Almas Heshmati, 2006.
"The Causal Relationship Between Information and Communication Technology and Foreign Direct Investment,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 43-62, 01.
- Roghieh Gholami & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Almas Heshmati, 2010. "The Causal Relationship between Information and Communication Technology and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers id:3196, eSocialSciences.
- Gholami, Roghieh & Lee, Sang-Yong Tom & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "The Causal Relationship between Information and Communication Technology and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Heshmati, Almas, 2004. "The World Distribution of Income and Income Inequality," IZA Discussion Papers 1267, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Link, Albert N. & Scott, John T., 2003. "U.S. science parks: the diffusion of an innovation and its effects on the academic missions of universities," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1323-1356, November.
- Heshmati Almas, 2006. "Measurement of a Multidimensional Index of Globalization," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-30, May.
- Addison, Tony & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "The New Global Determinants of FDI Flows to Developing Countries: The Importance of ICT and Democratization," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Chien-Hsun Chen & Hui-Tzu Shih, 2005. "High-Tech Industries in China," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3710.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.