Technological Progress And Depreciation
We construct a vintage capital à la Whelan (2002) with both exogenous embodied and disembodied technical progress, and variable utilization of each vintage. The lifetime of capital goods is endogenous and it relies on the associated operation costs. Within this model, we identify the rate of age-related depreciation and the rate of scrapping. We study the properties of the balanced growth paths of the model. First, we show that the lifetime of capital is an increasing (resp. decreasing) function of the rate of disembodied (resp. embodied) technical progress. Second, we show that both the age-related depreciation rate and the scrapping rate increase when embodied technical progress accelerates. In contrast, the latter drops when disembodied technical progress accelerates while the former remains unaffected.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2005|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & RUIZ-TAMARIT Ramon, 2001.
"Capital Maintenance and Investment : Complements or Substitutes ?,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & RUIZ-TAMARIT, Ramon, "undated". "Capital maintenance and investment: complements or substitutes?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1630, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bruce W Hamilton & Molly Macauley, 1996.
"Competition and Car Longevity,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
361, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z. & Krusell, P., 1996.
"Long-Run Implications of Investment-Specific Technological Change,"
RCER Working Papers
420, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Krusell, Per, 1997. "Long-Run Implications of Investment-Specific Technological Change," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 342-362, June.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z. & Krusell, P., 1995. "Long-Run Implications of Investment-Specific Technological Change," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9510, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Beaudry, Paul & van Wincoop, Eric, 1996. "The Intertemporal Elasticity of Substitution: An Exploration Using a US Panel of State Data," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(251), pages 495-512, August.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, "undated".
"Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar & Magnus, Alphonse, 1998. "Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-384, December.
- R. Boucekkine & M. Germain & O. Licandro & A. Magnus, "undated". "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," Working Papers 97-08, FEDEA.
- Michael J. Geske & Valerie A. Ramey & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2007.
"Why Do Computers Depreciate?,"
in: Hard-to-Measure Goods and Services: Essays in Honor of Zvi Griliches, pages 121-150
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1376 is not listed on IDEAS
- Feldstein, Martin S & Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "Towards an Economic Theory of Replacement Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 393-423, May.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-417, June.
- Epstein, L. & Denny, M., 1980. "Endogenous capital utilization in a short-run production model : Theory and an empiral application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 189-207, February.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Zoega, Gylfi, 2001. "Obsolescence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2833, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1975. "A closer look at replacement investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 54-88, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2005-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.