Two-Stage Huber Estimation
In this paper we study how the Huber estimator can be adapted to the presence of endogeneity in a two stage equations setting similar to that of 2SLS. We propose an estimation procedure that is at the same time relatively (i) simple, (ii) robust and (iii) efficient. Moreover, we deal with the case of random regressors and asymmetric errors, two extensions rarely present in this literature. The preliminary scale correction is implemented with median absolute deviation estimator, which is consistent with our above criteria and is a very robust estimator of scale. The resulting estimator is termed as the Two-Stage Huber (2SH) estimator. We explicitly establish the conditions for consistency and asymptotic normality of the 2SH estimator and we derive the formula of the asymptotic covariance matrix. We conduct Monte Carlo simulations whose results indicate that the 2SH estimator has smaller standard errors than the Two-Stage Least Squares (2SLS) estimator and than the Two-Stage Least Absolute Deviations (2SLAD) estimator in many situations. On the whole, the 2SH estimator appears to be a simple and useful alternative to 2SLS and 2SLAD in cases of two-stage estimation to deal with endogeneity when there are concerns for both robustness and efficiency.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors,"
346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1991. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Working papers 583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 1999.
"Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings,"
99-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 2002. "Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Christophe Muller & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2004.
"Two-Stage Quantile Regression When The First Stage Is Based On Quantile Regression,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Christophe Muller, 2004. "Two-stage quantile regression when the first stage is based on quantile regression," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 218-231, 06.
- Krasker, William S & Welsch, Roy E, 1985. "Resistant Estimation for Simultaneous-Equations Models Using Weighted Instrumental Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1475-88, November.
- Powell, James L, 1983. "The Asymptotic Normality of Two-Stage Least Absolute Deviations Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1569-75, September.
- Krishnakumar, J. & Ronchetti, E., 1997. "Robust estimators for simultaneous equations models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 295-314, June.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:105-21 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:5:p:793-813 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pagan, Adrian, 1986.
"Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 517-38, August.
- Adrian Pagan, 1985. "Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 741, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Krasker, William S, 1986. "Two-Stage Bounded-Influence Estimators for Simultaneous-Equations Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(4), pages 437-44, October.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen, 2005. "An IV Model of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 245-261, 01.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1982. "Two Stage Least Absolute Deviations Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 689-711, May.
- Koenker, Roger & Zhao, Quanshui, 1996. "Conditional Quantile Estimation and Inference for Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 793-813, December.
- Marjorie Flavin, 1999. "Robust Estimation of the Joint Consumption / Asset Demand Decision," NBER Working Papers 7011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- James J. Heckman, 1977. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," NBER Working Papers 0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1995. "Bootstrapping Quantile Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 105-121, February.
- Duncan, Gregory M., 1987. "A simplified approach to M-estimation with application to two-stage estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 373-389, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2005-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.