Human Capital and Regional Wage Gaps
This paper uses micro-level data to analyse the effect of human capital on regional wage differentials. The results for the set of Spanish regions confirm that they differ in the endowment of human capital, but also that the return that individuals obtain from it varies sharply across regions. Regional heterogeneity in returns is especially intense in the case of education, particularly when considering its effect on the employability of individuals. These differences in endowment and, especially, in returns to human capital, account for a significant proportion of regional wage gaps.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ub.edu/irea/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufí, 2005.
"Education, migration, and job satisfaction: the regional returns of human capital in the EU,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 545-566, October.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufi, 2004. "Education, Migration, and Job Ssatisfaction: the Regional Returns of Human Capital in the EU," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 1, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Andrea Ichino & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2004. "The Long-Run Educational Cost of World War II," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 57-86, January.
- Yun, Myeong-Su, 2004.
"Decomposing differences in the first moment,"
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 275-280, February.
- Ichino, Andrea & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1998.
"Lower and Upper Bounds of Returns to Schooling: An Exercise in IV estimation with Different Instruments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2007, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ichino, Andrea & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1999. "Lower and upper bounds of returns to schooling: An exercise in IV estimation with different instruments," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 889-901, April.
- Inmaculada Garcia & Jose Alberto Molina, 2002. "Inter-regional wage differentials in Spain," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 209-215.
- J. Ignacio Garcia-Perez & Juan F. Jimeno, 2007.
"Public Sector Wage Gaps In Spanish Regions,"
University of Manchester, vol. 75(4), pages 501-531, 07.
- Ignacio García-Pérez & Juan F. Jimeno, 2005. "Public sector wage gaps in Spanish regions," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0526, Banco de Espa�a.
- J. Ignacio García-Pérez & Juan F. Jimeno, 2006. "Public sector wage gaps in Spanish regions," Working Papers 06.10, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Pereira, Pedro T. & Martins, Pedro S., 2001.
"Returns to Education and Wage Equations,"
IZA Discussion Papers
298, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Enrique Lopez-Bazo & Rosina Moreno, 2007.
"Does Human Capital Stimulate Investment In Physical Capital? Evidence From A Cost System Framework,"
IREA Working Papers
200717, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- López-Bazo, Enrique & Moreno, Rosina, 2008. "Does human capital stimulate investment in physical capital?: Evidence from a cost system framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1295-1305, November.
- Di Liberto, Adriana, 2008.
"Education and Italian regional development,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 94-107, February.
- Adriana Di Liberto & James Symons, 2001. "Education and Italian Regional Development," CEP Discussion Papers dp0496, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Adriana Di Liberto & James Symons, 2001. "Education and Italian regional development," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20121, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- M. Arrazola & J. De Hevia & M. Risueno & J. F. Sanz, 2003. "Returns to education in Spain: Some evidence on the endogeneity of schooling," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 293-304.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Farber, Stephen C & Newman, Robert J, 1989. "Regional Wage Differentials and the Spatial Convergence of Worker Characteristic Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 224-31, May.
- Hipólito J. Simón & Raúl Ramos & Esteve Sanromà, 2005.
"Collective bargaining and regional wage differences in Spain: An empirical analysis,"
2005/7, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Hipolito Simon & Raul Ramos & Esteban Sanroma, 2006. "Collective bargaining and regional wage differences in Spain: an empirical analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1749-1760.
- Rodolfo Hoffmann & Ana Lucia Kassouf, 2005. "Deriving conditional and unconditional marginal effects in log earnings equations estimated by Heckman's procedure," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(11), pages 1303-1311.
- Arrazola, María & de Hevia, José, 2008. "Three measures of returns to education: An illustration for the case of Spain," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 266-275, June.
- Bronzini, Raffaello & Piselli, Paolo, 2009. "Determinants of long-run regional productivity with geographical spillovers: The role of R&D, human capital and public infrastructure," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 187-199, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ira:wpaper:200924. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alicia García)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.